The Lightstrips choice thread

I think I may have a slight answer to your question @derdude1893 - https://home-assistant.io/components/light.hyperion/

and here - Hyperion component

Exactly where i was about to point you :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s too funny! @Bobby_Nobble

@vexter0944
Indeed I read this thread
seems i did not check it close enough tough :wink:
Ok i know how to setup the effects.

But besides the rgb panel id like to have a dimmer as well as in the picture of my hue lights,

at best which runs together with virtual hue. And i would like to use transition in scripts.
Is there any way to get this going?

@derdude1893 - I’m not sure - I don’t have any of this equipment, so I can’t tell you unfortunately. I’d post in that thread asking the same question. Sorry I couldn’t help!

OK - I got this all going last night - ordered the following:

Barrel Plug Connectors: Amazon Barrel Plugs
Jumper Wires: Amazon Jumper Wires For GPIO RPI
WS2801 Led Modules: Amazon WS2801 LED Modules
4 Pin connectors: Amazon 4 Pin Connectors
30W Power Supply: Amazon Waterproof 30W Power Supply

I used a Raspberry Pi 2 I had hanging around idle and loaded Hyperion from here - Hyperion Install WIKI on a fresh LibreElec Libreelec Download installation.

I used this diagram - RPI GPIO Wiring Diagram for Hyperion/WS2801 to get everything wired up.

Once I got Hyperion installed on top of Libreelec - it was a matter of adding the Hyperion component from HA to control the box and it picked it up perfectly. Was able to turn on and off and change colors no problem at all - NEAT. But not enough :wink: I wanted the effects like I saw in @derdude1893 and @SmartValley posts - like here: Hyperion Thread

This took a while to figure out - I’ve never used an input slider, so had to figure that out and reverse engineering Bruh’s automations around the slider and the calls to the shell commands etc.

1. You need a shell command that will take arguments - I don’t use shell - I use Powershell - lol :slight_smile: So it took me a bit to learn some basics around shell scripting, arguments and case statement - thanks for the code @hareeshmu Thread On Grandfather clock in regards to how to make the call since I couldn’t see Bruh’s shell scripts. My script looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
“Knight rider”)
echo ‘{ “command”: “effect”, “effect”: {“name”:“Knight rider”}, “priority”: 100 }’ | nc 192.168.2.135 19444
;;
“Police Lights Solid”)
echo ‘{ “command”: “effect”, “effect”: {“name”:“Police Lights Solid”}, “priority”: 100 }’ | nc 192.168.2.135 19444
;;
“Off”)
echo ‘{ “command”: “clear”, “priority”: 100 }’ | nc 192.168.2.135 19444
#echo ‘{ “color”: [0,0,0], “command”: “color”, “priority”: 0 }’ | nc 192.168.2.135 19444
;;
*)
echo “Sorry, I don’t understand”
;;
esac

1. Getting the rights correct to run the shell command was also key - thanks to @carlostico here: Rights For executing shell command

2. You need to setup each shell command for each effect: See here - Bruh

3. You Then Need an automation per effect:

• alias: “Knight Rider”
      trigger:

• platform: state
        entity_id: input_select.hyperion_effect
        state: “Knight Rider”
        action:
        service: shell_command.h_knight_rider
    • alias: “Police Lights Solid”
      trigger:

state: “Police Lights Solid”
        action:
        service: shell_command.h_police_lights_solid
    • alias: “Off”
      trigger:

state: “Off”
        action:
        service: shell_command.h_off

That’s a quick and dirty write up but I hope it helps someone else out in regards to Hyperion, raspberry PI, GPIO and HASS/effects.

I’m planning on using these as led path lighting for my house - maybe changing color based on temp or time and using the effects from time to time for holidays etc.

Thanks for reading and thanks to everyone posting on here with all the help - it makes HASS great - hope I gave back a little.

3 Likes

@derdude1893 , btw, do you happen to know how much power MiLight box and controllers consume?

@vexter0944 great information for this thread, thanks!

1 Like

i dont know about the controllers, but the box is on a 500 mah 5v adapter.
controllers should be very little.

@Michael_Davydov - you’re quite welcome!

Updated the header post.

So, I’m leaning towards MiLight for my setup. Even saw them in the local store, market even, so I guess it should be easy to find them here, unlike other options like HUE.

As for Addressible strips… How does one create custom animation with Hyperion? Is it possible to control individual lights remotely somethow?

I was thinking about making something like an equalizer for music.

Hm, one quick question… Does anyone know, can MiLight bridge process commands fast enough for something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKcSewGY480 Not necessarily through HASS, obviously HASS would be a huge bottleneck, but directly. I saw python milight api, but don’t know how quick it works.

i think it could be possible, but i wouldnt bet on it.
with my remote it reacts instantly, but i dont know how fast it really is and how fast you would like it.

Mhm… Well, Try clicking it very fast :smiley:
I guess I’ll have to try out :slight_smile: If it does not work as expected, well, no biggie.

With those bulbs I update them roughly every 0.1 second, if individual. And only about once a second for group update. Anything faster than that floods Hue Bridge.

What would you guys consider to be the best solution for a strip that is at least partially addressable (like LIFX) and RGB_W_? I like the cost-savings and flexibility of DIY solutions, but I haven’t been able to find much information about being able to control the White channel. Unfortunately, I don’t have a ton a time to experiment because I’m planning on installing a strip under my soffit (second story) while I’m fixing some ventilation issues up there and I’ll probably be renting the scaffolding in the next week or so. I’m leaning towards just using the LIFX strips but I like the idea of having the option of fully addressable strips.

Dear All, I’m new of home assistant.
I’m tring to create a Led Light Strip at home in particular on the ceiling.
My question is about this component:

https://www.amazon.com/Mi-Light-Controller-Receiver-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B01N9TPFPQ/ref=pd_sim_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GC9E1B32TAVWHC7EGS1Y

My idea is to use led strip with the component above and linked with the Milight WiFi Bridge Box Controller to Home Assistant, this for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-iBox2-Wireless-Downlight-Compatible/dp/B01N7C3HXQ/ref=pd_bxgy_86_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BG8AASJ1PQ91X8SGJ20D

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Millions-Compatible-Controller-Decorative-Lighting/dp/B01KXJ3RWU/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1499851898&sr=1-4&keywords=mi-light+wifi+box

some one know if this combination works with HASS?

thanks

i have the bridgebox and rgbw controller also.
they are easy to setup in HA.

Perfect!!! Great!!!
Did you setup HASS with the LimitlessLED configuration defining the ip of the bridge, and in this way you will be able to see, and manage the rgbw controller, for the led strip, directly in HASS right?

yeah.
i have it setup like this:

light:
  platform: limitlessled
  bridges:
    - host: my_ip
      version: 5
      port: 8899
      groups:
      - number: 1
        name: Vitrine in de gang
        type: rgbw
      - number: 2
        name: Keuken boven vitrine
      - number: 3
        name: nog te plaatsen
      - number: 4
        name: ook_nog te plaatsen

@uakkauakkafo

Happy you, I’m still just drooling on those right now :smiley: Even found the local store where I can buy them (Finally! Shipments from China tend to not be very reliable), but have a lot of other expenses right now…

Feel free to post your experience with these, once you set them up.

Btw, anyone knows what’s inside the bridge? Is it a micro computer or something? Any way to access it, through ssh for example? Or is it a blackbox? I heard that some people managed to get into philips hue bridge and tweak it through ssh.

@ReneTode
Oh, and a more important question - I’ll need more than 4 controllers here. How would configuration like that look? Do I need to buy 2 bridges? There’s a limit of 4 per bridge, right? And will I be able to add 2 bridges into HASS? Just adding a second light: … config entry with another IP?

i havnt tried it but you should be able to add a second controller.
but there is a project which i want to follow myselve, where you can create your own controller with a nodemcu.
with that controller you can control as many lights you like.

i cant find the link right now, but its here on the forum.