0.88: Persons, Command line auth and event subscriptions

Or just do the simple change yourself… it’s only moving/renaming a file

Only if they ignore basic instructions… so you’re right… lots of people’s configs will break…

2 Likes

Not that people are exactly expected to read these things, but there’s a system architecture discussion section of the Home-Assistant Github page. That’s where the discussions about these things take place, with this particular change being discussed as early as mid-december:

As a side note, it’s a nice repo to read through to get an idea of where this who project is headed, such as knowing about areas and persons long before any PRs were made to add code for those features lol.

1 Like

@frenck 0.88 seems to be breaking the adb addon, the addon itself runs fine and i’m not getting any errors, but i’m getting an error that media_player.androidtv is not a valid platform, do i need to update androidtv.py file?

The Great Migration blog post indicates:

… if you want to override a built-in component/platform with a custom version, you will need to copy over all component and platform files , not just the one you want to load.

Currently, I use modified versions of MQTT HVAC (climate) and MQTT Alarm Panel (alarm). That’s just two files copied into:
/custom_components/climate
/custom_components/alarm_control_panel

If all I now need to do is move those two files into:
/custom_components/mqtt
then that’s easy-peasy!

On the other hand, the blog post seems to suggest I will need to copy not just those two files but everything related to MQTT into /custom_components/mqtt.

if you want to override a built-in component/platform with a custom version, you will need to copy over all component and platform files , not just the one you want to load.

Is not implemented yet in 0.88. Issue is linked at the bottom of the blog post, which leads to the PR here: Prevent partial custom component overlays by balloob · Pull Request #21070 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

2 Likes

It’s different if a custom component is replacing a core component…

Yep, that’s what I’m doing now, namely overriding (altering) the stock MQTT climate and alarm_control_panel with custom versions.

Based on Paulus’ reply, it would appear I won’t need to copy over the whole kit and kaboodle for 0.88 … but it’s definitely on the roadmap.

1 Like

There appears to be some sort of disconnect between the desire that HA will move toward making things dirt simple for the non-technical person to be able to set up and run a HA install. Those people that the HA “official” developers are specifically courting with all of the GUI based configuration and editing expect to be able to set their installs up with all of the “flashy new” stuff that community based developers are setting up.

Then in some small corner of a major release blog post there is literally just 19 words devoted to letting the developers and/or the non-tech users know that if they don’t make a change to their set up then after a future update their set up will stop working. How many people actually look at their logs to notice a warning when everything is actually working. Most newer people don’t even know that a home-assistant.log file even exists let alone where to find it.

Does anyone really expect the people that HA is trying to bring in will actually visit a link specifically aimed at developers?

Then when someone points out the fact that it’s a pretty major change to just gloss over like it was then suddenly there are people insinuating that it’s those non-technical people’s responsibility to be able to somehow know what broke and how to fix it. Or for the “dev” who only ever makes a single component or two to realize that their component will suddenly stop working and that they should have just known with the sparse information given that they needed to update their code and the install instructions.

No HA can’t be responsible for all the custom components but the life blood of HA is the custom components and custom cards that are created by community members so you would think that HA would at least make it a bit easier to do their thing.

Or you’re going to start hearing a bunch more frustrations from people who get things set up the way they want then things just randomly start breaking and then you blame them for not understanding “simple instructions”.

I’m not saying that HA shouldn’t move forward but there needs to be a better system in place to let people know about stuff as big as this.

It’s either for non-tech savvy people or it’s not.

7 Likes

Really was searching for something like “person” component!
Thank you.
And about themes. Can not find that in docs. Can we now round cards and change background-image from themes?

I understand what you are saying… really do. However it’s a fact that people do not read the release notes even… If you start seeing an issue, surely you would at least do that and also check the logs… it’s not like any of this is hidden. Fortunately the disasterous roll out of 0.86 where the entity id’s totally broke everything and HA wouldn’t even start was rolled back and I don’t think they are likely to break things again without warning.

For my part, I saw that some of my components and custon-cards were going to be affected (from b0) and I contacted the developers of those cards and components to give them a heads up. Love to know what your better solution is. I don’t think it’s up to the main HA devs to be hand holding everyone who writes custom components. I don’t know what the best solution is but taking a pro-active approach as a user seems like a good idea to me anyway.

4 Likes

Which was exactly the point in my post about this subject.

Maybe a better approach would be to make more system posts to the forum with things broken up into more easily digestible pieces when there is a major change to functionality.

Cramming all the information into a major release post every two weeks that then gets inundated with so much information isn’t the most effective way to communicate these things. Or at the very least not bury it deep in the post so it’s ridiculously easy to miss.

3 Likes

Won’t make the slightest difference. People won’t read multiples either if they don’t read even one… All the major breaking changes are in a small section at the top.

4 Likes

I’ve got to say I must lead a charmed life, but another painless upgrade (crossed fingers).

Love the ReRo approach, although I’d rather stick to yaml files than all this gui bulldust. One of the reasons I came to HA in the first place was that it was configurable from text files. But maybe that is because I have been using linux since the mid 90s.

1 Like

Same here. even easier when i can test with a beta though before taking plunge to latest.
I’m 50/50 on the yaml /gui. Somethingsare just easier to use the gui.

I have questions about the warnings displayed in ui notifications panel.
Warnings give us the info that some properties are available and must be removed. But I have warnings about properties that are referenced in documentation. An example is the max-age property of sensor.statistics
So my question is : what information is the right one ? The warning or the documentation itself ?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, i am seeing warnings too, that in my opinion are correct? i dont get it,

see here :

1 Like

I get this:

Log Details (WARNING)
Thu Feb 21 2019 10:03:59 GMT+0100 (Midden-Europese standaardtijd)
Your configuration contains extra keys that the platform does not support.
Please remove [device].

Your configuration contains extra keys that the platform does not support.
Please remove [icon].

But i cant find it in my config… How can i find it?

4 Likes

Not sure, I got line numbers in my warnings…

Just remember, sometimes the log throws up errors that have nothing to do with the actual error… the error could be somewhere else entirely. This has happened to me many times… It says invalid key on blah line but then you find somewhere else is actually what triggered the error…

I would check the breaking changes in the release notes for ANY platform/component you use. If necessary, start commenting stuff out and see if that fixes it.