3-D Printers

I have to ask. What is it? Looks kind of like sonic the hedgehog seen from above? :slight_smile:

US - Texas

I probably will but need either a spare Pi or install on an old laptop.

Lol, already full from ZoneMinder! There should be a way to check state (online/offline) to reduce the error feed or HA from checking it when offline.

The picture doesnā€™t do it justice but the elephant was very smooth and detailed. I was surprised since I only did the initial setup. I had figured that I would need to readjust. At least so far I do not see the need to.

A sitting elephant with itā€™s trunk rising. I was tired and it was dark. It was already late when I started but I did not want to leave it unattended. Ended up taking right at 2 hours to make.

Ok, now I see it. Looks good. Hopefully Iā€™m getting one for Fathers Day.

1 Like

There is, but itā€™s waiting on some merges from the core first. It used to be a lot more messages until I was in a thread with @w1ll1am23 about it he made some updates. But the real fix is waiting.

Usually that or in my case the Chinese lucky cat - those come as example models with just about every printer!

3D printing it still 90% calibration and failure with 10% cool stuff output, unless you are repeating the same thing over and over or printing very simple things.

As noted above learning the temps and how to prep the bed etc takes a while to learn

1 Like

Yea, whatā€™s your point? After work, thatā€™s what the other 16 hours in the day are for. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

O I just like tossing that in there there when 3D printers are discus out side 3D printing groupsā€¦ If you like tinkering with home-assistant, chances are you will be OK with 3D printings level of tinkering.

However some people are still surprised when they get started how long it actually takes to print something and how often you have failures.

1 Like

Simplify3D has a nice feature that lets you print a calibration model, say a square tube with no fill and no top or bottom. Then you can have it print layers and split segments of the layers, printing those segments at different temperatures going up or down as it prints. You can then evaluate what temperature prints best for any given roll of filament.

You can also do this with Cura using a plugin. Hereā€™s a great video on the process (picked this one cause itā€™s being demoed with a Monoprice Select) from DIY3DTECH:

Speaking of calibration, hereā€™s a good one on determining your printerā€™s accuracy and tolerance by Makerā€™s Muse:

Honestly, Iā€™ve really just been going on intuition and have gotten really good results. And I use a heated bed all the time with PLA, even though it supposedly isnā€™t necessary.

I am going to try these tests though; it can only get better and I need to learn more before I buy my next printer.

1 Like

Who only works 8 hours? I remember those days.

1 Like

What do you use as your drawing software?

Sorry man; my ISP was down for the count yesterday - up and down all day and night. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s stable today but thatā€™s why I was off line.

Right now Iā€™m learning Sketchup, because itā€™s free and there seems to be a lot of resources out there for learning it.

Iā€™m still hoping to get one for fathers day. If I donā€™t get one as a gift, I may just have to go out and buy one and tell the wife after I get it home. If she and the kids get it for me for Fathers day then they wonā€™t have to get me anything else. Otherwise they can get me a present for fathers day and then Iā€™ll go out and buy one myself and we will have spent more money than if they just give it to me like Iā€™m asking. :slight_smile: Itā€™s one of those times, Iā€™m just asking to be nice. Iā€™m getting it either way we go. LOL

3 Likes

This is how most of my holidays/celebrations go. I ask for what I want, if I donā€™t get it then I just go buy it anyways. Itā€™s how I got my Surface Pro 4, most of my automation/cameras, and PS4 among other things.

I make the wife give me a very specific and detailed list for her and I always buy everything on yet she manages to do the same thing :grinning:.

1 Like

Just a heads up on this - I am normally the LAST person to suggest a crowdfunded project based on past horrible experiences (still waiting on my Qube lights that should have shipped last year) but Iā€™d make an exception on this one as itā€™s coming from Monoprice themselves. Might be of interest. (Though not for me as it has the same build volume as my current printer!)

1 Like

ships only to US :frowning:
but then again, i dont think i want to pay that much so long in advance :wink:

i would love it if i could buy that on the european market.

1 Like