3-D Printers

You probably can, once it’s released to market. There’s pretty good installed user base for Monoprice in Europe, but not sure where to order in your area. Should be easy enough to find out though.

(It all comes from China anyway.)

1 Like

It would be nice if it included an enclosure and vent to make ABS printing easier. But I do love the auto leveling feature. From experience how much vibration do these cause themselves? For example, my ink jet almost walks across the table as it prints because of the print head sliding back and forth.

how old it that printer?
or is your printer on a 45 degree table?

i never had a moving printer, couldnt you program it to follow you?

I don’t want it to follow me. I want it to stay. But I can’t get my dogs to stay either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

oke, speak very firmly to it.
look a little irritated and say: “printer stay!”

every time it wants to follow you just say again: “no stay!”
and if it stays a little longer then usual then give it a reward or pet it on the back.

:stuck_out_tongue:

LOL,
Ok, that’s enough wine for you tonight. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i am drinking ginger-ale :wink:

I believe the ale part. :smile: :wink: :blush:

1 Like

yeah right, give everyone the impression that i am a drinker :frowning:
now i am sad :frowning:

Mine is pretty solid. It’s small so there’s not a lot of travel on it. But even with the larger units, there are plenty of people who have mods for them to increase the stability.

As far as the Delta pictured, I don’t have any facts but I would venture a guess that it is pretty stable on a good solid table or desk.

You don’t want to run a 3d printer on a cheap end table or something with wheels though. It needs to be a solid structure.

1 Like

See @turboc - now you’re driving him to drink!

1 Like

Ok we’ve been driving each other to drink for a while now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sharing in case anyone else runs into this problem.

So I have been printing non-stop on my Monoprice Maker Select V2 for about a week and came home today to continue. About 5 minutes in it just stopped and the screen went dark… power supply still running. I did some quick Google searches and it seems (and someone here mentioned it before) that these units and the Wanhao have some electrical issues.

I poked around a bit and found the ground wire coming off the power supply to be loose. Then it fell completely out of the spade connector.

A quick crimp of a new connector (and tightening everything else) and I am back in business! 30 minutes later so far so good.

1 Like

Good to know! I saw a review of the Black Widow printer recently and the guy showed how badly the power supply/controller was wired to the point of being a shock hazard.

My printer has been ordered. Based on the description it uses 1.75mm filament of various types (PLA, ABS, etc). Based on your experience, what manufacturer is the best quality filament for the dollar.

I’ve been pretty happy with Hatchbox in terms of value and quality; I get them from Amazon. Also got a spool of clear (which is actually more like translucent when you print it) from 3DSolutech around the same price and was also quite happy with it. 3DSolutech also includes a couple of nice extras one being a filament clip (yes, you can print these yourself but it’s nice to include them) and a pack of stickers with their logos.

So Wink to ZWave wasn’t enough of a challenge for you, huh? LOL So which printer did you get?

Still fighting through Wink to ZWave. Now I have to learn about how to customize the zwave interfaces in HA so it handles one-off products like the enerwave switches correctly. I’m replacing the vision switch I have with two GE in-wall switches to make that problem go away.

Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer. If I’m not mistaken this is the one you have ( I hope so, I’m counting on help understanding it :slight_smile: ).

I get bored easily, especailly when there isn’t anything to do at work. I’ve got the Wink to Zwave conversion going on (which means I have to get the HADashboard working for my wife), I’ve got a 3d Printer coming in, and I’m taking a class on developing IoT devices for Audrino and RPI. The good thing is these all come together under the same IoT/Home Automation heading. Now I can build enclosures for the devices I am learning to make in class and tie them into HA with visibility on the dashboard for my wife. :slight_smile: Strange all she sees is (great another pit for money to flow into). LOL

Yeah, that’s it. I’ll help you where I can; I’m still a bit of a rookie but I am getting good prints so I should be able to be some help at least.

Start taking data points on your electric/HVAC usage and compare them to before you started automating everything. I know I have easily paid for most of my setup over time with utility savings. Not to mention better protection and monitoring of my house and the surrounding area.

I really wish I had started with one of those energy monitors you tie into your circuit panel. That would have given me a good baseline. Utility prices are such an unknown because of the days heating/cooling, whether the kids are home or not. I know last months bill was a killer with everyone in town for the wedding. We had a straight week there when I don’t think the back door was ever closed.

I have been using the inland filament from my local microcenter, at around 14.99 its a great price. I started with some hatchbox from amazon and have no issues with that either, but it was 21.99 compared to microcenters 14.99

1 Like