403: Forbidden and SSL handshake failed

I have seen this as quite frequent issue but i didn’t notice that anyone has been able to effectively solve it.

I have pretty common setup. Cloudflare SSL, acces from out and within my network, with my custom domain, also with DNS hosted in Cloudflare and so everything was working fine until few hours ago.

So, i just wanted to open the web for config and unpleasant surprise, i got this instead of HS:

403: Forbidden

I tried from my mobile and from another tablet, and everything was working as usual.

Tried another browser like firefox, chromium, tried reconfiguring time, deleting site preferences, security policies etc. Nothing helped.

In HS log i just keep getting this:

2019-07-27 03:13:51 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 500, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol._on_handshake_complete
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 484, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol._do_handshake
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/ssl.py", line 774, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: SSLV3_ALERT_CERTIFICATE_UNKNOWN] sslv3 alert certificate unknown (_ssl.c:1076)

IMHO it’s more likely that the problem is related to my PC. I simply can’t figure out any other reason since HS works fine from other places.

Do you have any suggestion? What should i do? p.s. it’s not windows, it’s some debian here.

p.s. i just tried from another Windows PC and it works fine.

Thanks to @rrubin0 at Discord i just find out that there is “ip_bans.yaml” and HS caught my ip somehow.

clearing the content in the file ip_bans.yaml + HS restart resolved the issue.

I thought that HS goes with fail2ban for that purposes, had no clue that there is such option in HS.

Anyway, just for the record, if anyone ever gets such issue, that was the solution.

2 Likes