A different take on designing a Lovelace UI

Need a bit guidance for that please.
If i take the playstation logo from you lovelace.yaml and copy the style into self created “file.svg”

i cannot get it to load. when i go to Flaticon and download the ps4 logo the code also looks a lot different.

add xmlns to top tag <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 50 50">

that’s because I don’t use flaticon

@george_b from your screenshot it looks like you have a swiper bar at the bottom can you shift your page over to expose more button cards? If so, can you share your configuration for this?

My code is a mess. I know mathematical programming not yaml… I will share when I get to a PC, but there should be better ways to do this…

I think the bar at the bottom was from the iPad as I was moving it around to take the screen capture. I do not see it on the tablet I have it deployed (a 2012 Fire, rooted with vanilla android and installed on a wall - that struggles to keep up). I have a swiper card in the bedroom lights (similar to what Mattias has for his media, but different kind of swipe).
From a usability perspective, I do not see value in multiple screens. I go close to the wall, fullykiosk wakes up, I see what’s on and turn it off (or the other way around anyway). I do not use home assistant from my iPad much. It’s more about seeing what’s going on and quick changes of settings. I guess I should record a video, but the functionality I found best is as follows:

• weather: (weatherbit integration) I love it, nobody else in my house cares about it. They prefer to ask google.
  • people: nothing, just show where they are. Integrating with find my phone is helpful, but haven’t done it yet. Plus my daughter is almost 11. She won’t want me to know where she is soon…
  • Apple devices, check battery level and alert when something needs charging. Single taps asks the Apple device so I can find it inside the house (it beeps).
  • google home minis: just checking when google is checking on me :wink:
  • Romba and nest thermostat: this is WIP and I got busy with work so it was left behind. A full integration with each platform for complete control through popups (browser_mod) is the goal (one day).
  • scenes: popup window to change scenes.
  • HASS and info: WIP. Display info (no action that I can think off, maybe restart my server).
  • lights: turn on off set brightness (I don’t have colors).
  • Garage: alert when a door is open. Close it from interface (use with caution!)
  • media: don’t watch much TV so this is also WIP. But Mattias’ functionality is more than I will ever need,
  • Music: As you can see we like music ;-), we have some Legacy squeezeboxes, expanded with other wifi speakers. Some are grouped and synced. Spotify is integrated in it. So I have made 8 playlists in spotify and have the media player card loading in a popup. From there I select a playlist where I want to hear it. 8 has been sufficient so far… believe it or not, this is by far the most common use of the wall tablet.

Everything is automated and we have found automations that work for us sustainably. If there is one thing I could add is that people in bedrooms at night continuously complain that the light turned off while they were reading a book. I switched from smart switches to smart bulbs so they can turn it on manually. They have access to HASS but don’t use from bed…
For everything else, HASS is integrated with google assistant so voice commands work. As our automation grows maybe we will have different interfaces (views) in different rooms (have a second wall tablet in the works) but not different views in the same wall tablet.
I agree with Mattias’ design approach that emphasizes simplicity, beauty and usability over complexity and complete functionality. But that’s just me.
Mattias sorry for hijacking the thread…

1 Like

I’m interested in this. Do you just send a critical notification to ios like this?

I tried the icloud integration and it doesn’t seem to work properly with 2 factor auth enabled on apples end and I have to constantly reauthenticate.

Need some SVG help.
Trying to set the “black” area to "yellow"when state == on

icon_lamp: >
    [[[ const state = entity.state === 'on' ? 'animate' : null;  return `<svg
    viewBox="0 0 50 50"><style>@keyframes animate{0%{transform:
    scale(0.85);}20%{transform: scale(1.1);}40%{transform:
    scale(0.95);}60%{transform: scale(1.03);}80%{transform:
    scale(0.97);}}.animate{animation: animate 0.8s; transform-origin:
    center;}</style> <g fill="#9da0a2""><path d="M32.6 50H17.5c-.4
    0-.8-.2-1-.5-.5-.4-10.3-10.3-2.7-26.7a1.6 1.6 0 012.9 1.3c-5.9 12.6-.1 20.8
    1.5 22.8h13.7c1.6-2 7.4-10 1.5-22.8a1.6 1.6 0 012.8-1.3C44 39.2 34.1 49 33.7
    49.5c-.3.3-.7.5-1.1.5zm0 0M45.3 37.5c-.9 0-1.6-.7-1.6-1.6V23.4a1.6 1.6 0
    113.2 0V36c0 .9-.7 1.6-1.6 1.6zm0 0"/> </g> <g path class="${state}"><g
    fill="var(--button-card-light-color-no-temperature)"> <path d="M49.9
    22.8L40.5 1c-.3-.5-.8-.9-1.4-.9H10.9c-.6 0-1.1.4-1.4 1L.1 22.7A1.6 1.6 0
    001.6 25h46.8a1.6 1.6 0 001.5-2.2zm0 0"/> </g> </g></svg>`;]]]

Skärmavbild 2020-08-05 kl. 08.56.14

remove fill="var(--button-card-light-color-no-temperature)" and add something like this to styles. It will only color paths without fill.

styles:
  custom_fields:
    icon_lamp:
      [top: 10.5%, left: 10.1%, width: 2.9vw, position: absolute,
      fill: "[[[ return entity.state === 'on' ? '#c7983e' : '#9da0a2'; ]]]"]
1 Like

Thanks Mattias, i will try.

Hi George,
I’m interested how you manage to root with vanilla android your old kindle fire tablet.
Can you point me to a tutorial?
thanks

Somehow, I don’t have an icon/color RGB at the popup card.
The icon shows the “light-popup-card” but it doesn’t have any color. Do you know how to fix this?

First off, do you have card-mod installed? I’m asking because yours looks like the default light-popup-card.

Regarding the rgb icon, your actions at the bottom are in a different order, it’s relevant because the selector targets the second div in the second div, the last action if you have two by two actions. You have three and then one.

#popup > div.action-holder > div:nth-child(2) > div:nth-child(2) > span

I guess you could also do this that would work in any configuration.

#popup > div.action-holder > div:last-child > div:last-child > span

First, thanks for your reply!

I have installed the card-mod. I do not use your fully setup with picture-elements, but only using the buttons etc. That is why it looks different to your setup.

I tried both, however
#popup > div.action-holder > div:nth-child(2) > div:nth-child(2) > span’
gives me the following result on my iPhone:

I don’t see any rgb gradient on my browser (firefox, latest. Also tried it on edge).

On the following screenshot, you see the css of what I tried.

. Firefox does not recognize the background (second yellow marked text.
I think I should use the selected element background-color for the rgb color picker (first yellow marked text). But in what way do I put this in the button_card_templates.yaml?
The selected element is called “div.action-row:nth-child(2) > div:nth-child(2) > span:nth-child(1)”.

https://caniuse.com/#feat=css-conic-gradients

In firefox go to url about:config and set layout.css.conic-gradient.enabled flag to true

I didn’t have names on my actions so the correct selector should be

#popup > div.action-holder > div:last-child > div:last-child > .color
1 Like

Thanks, that works!
I really appreciate your help! :slight_smile:

@george_b could you share your config for your speaker cards? Looking to do something similar

Trying to make a mobile friendly version of @Mattias_Persson great design.

4 Likes

Hi,

First off amazing work.

Hopefully an easy one, I’m pretty new to this so apologies if this is a stupid question, tried searching and couldn’t find anything of relevance.

A few months back I started implementing this and I’ve just come back to it and the sensor.time font in the sidebar markdown is showing the same font size as all the other sensors (it’s no longer larger).

I’m just wondering how to change this back so that it is large again.

old custom:hui-markdown-card, needs lovelace-card-preloader, with class from themes.yaml.

- type: custom:hui-markdown-card
            class: sidebar
            style:
              {top: 9%, left: 11.1%}
            content: >
              <span>{{ states('sensor.time') }}</span>

main picture-elements style with card-mod

- type: picture-elements
        image: /local/background.png
        style:
          "#root > hui-markdown-card, #key1":
            $: |
              ha-card > ha-markdown {padding: 0 !important;}

"#root > hui-markdown-card, #key2":
            $:
              "ha-card > ha-markdown":
                $: |
                  ha-markdown-element > p > span {font-family: SF Text; font-size: 5vw; 
                  font-weight: 200; margin-left: -0.3vw; letter-spacing: -0.05vw;}

custom:hui-element placed anywhere to fix load problem

- type: custom:hui-element
            card_type: markdown
            style: {opacity: 0}
            content: preload

reference ui-lovelace.yaml

Amazing, thank you so much.