A few questions about going from SmartThings to Hass.io

I’ve liked SmartThings for the most part, but this last month has been ridiculous regarding ZigBee devices.I’ve verified there is not any overlap in the 2.4ghz range and I have ran ethernet cable into my walls so that I could separate my wifi and ST’s hub in the hopes of helping the reliability but it has not made any difference. I’ve had so many contact sensors and bulbs unavailable since last Friday. They all have fresh batteries, and pulling the batteries and restarting the ST’s hub does not seem to help, nor does cycling the power to the bulbs.

So, I have a few questions if you guys wouldn’t mind.

First - Is there a Smart Home Monitor equivalent for HA? I have a Fortrezz siren, and we use it SHM with it as an alarm. Does HA have a similar function?

I have multiple RPi 2’s and 3’s, but I’d like to use a spare Pi 2 that I have, is there anything functionally different between the Pi 2 and 3 images?

I’ve read that it’s possible to use the ST’s hub as a dumb hub for ZigBee and ZWave, how well does this work? Would I be limited to only devices that are SmartThings compatible, or will HA override that? Will it still be susceptible to all the cloud bullshit that it seems to have issues with now?

Would getting something like this be better?

I use a lot of location-based automation, I’m assuming HA is more than capable of dealing with this?

I have zero experience with HA, but I’d like to. Hopefully I can get some help with these questions. Thanks!

:EDIT:

Is there something like Action Tiles available for HA?

No input from anyone? I’d like some advice regarding my questions if anyone has any.

I’d really appreciate some input here.

I’m having nothing but issues with ST’s, and I’d like to switch to Home Assistant if it will fit my needs.

Not a very responsive community I guess…

Have a look at the forum. Very responsive.
Your question is long, winding, indirect, and doesn’t welcome answering.

Furthermore, you are moving from an existing platform and are using terms that pertain only to that platform. Unless someone is familiar with Smart Things and HA, and is on the forum and in a charitable mood, no one will be able to assist you.

So I wasted some time Googling your keywords and can provide the following:

1. Smart Home Monitor

• looks like nothing but an interface to control devices. Yes, the entirety of HA is exactly for that.
  2. Fortrezz

• Googled this too and there are instances of it in HA. YMMV.
  3. SHM ?

4. Differences between RPi2 and RPi3.

• did you see two different files for those two hardware builds? lol
  5. ZigBee and ZWave, how well does this work?

• don’t use those platforms
  6. Would getting something like this be better?

• like what?
  7. location-based automation

8. Action Tiles

• Again, help us help you and explain WTH an “action tile” with an expected behaviour or a picture.

Activation energy to get started is remarkably low thanks to the excellent work by the maintainers and contributors here; it’s expected people asking for help have done their due diligence.

2 Likes

OK, I understand that I used SmartThings specific terminology, I apologize. I’ll try to clear it up with my reply to you.

Smart Home Monitor is sort of an alarm system. It arms/disarms certain device depending on a condition. When someone leaves, it will arm whatever devices you have specified, and set off my siren and notify me, as well as start recording with my cameras. It also has the option to Arm (Stay)/Arm (Away) ? Disarm like a traditional alarm. I was curious if HA could do this easily. It’s pretty streamlined within SmartThings, at least when it works properly.

Differences between RPi2 and RPi3.

did you see two different files for those two hardware builds? lol

Of course I did, that’s why I asked if there was anything FUNCTIONALLY different between them. Obviously they are different, but I’d like to use a RPI 2, instead of a 3 if there’s nothing FUNCTIONALLY different between them…

ZigBee and ZWave, how well does this work?

don’t use those platforms

Are you telling me not to use these, or that you don’t use these?

Would getting something like this be better?

like what?

I apologize, guess I forgot the link - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJ826F8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Location-based automation

Literally the fourth page of the Getting Started guide…

I hadn’t got that far because I didn’t know what route I was going to go as far as installation goes, but I see it has config setups as well, so I’ll start looking through it.

Action Tiles

Again, help us help you and explain WTH an “action tile” with an expected behaviour or a picture.

I’ve already figured this one out.

Sorry for assuming others would know the SmartThings lingo.

If it were me I’d use the Pi 3 as it has a 1200MHz clock speed vs 900 on the 2. It will be noticeably faster.

When I switched to HA from smartthings I simply sold all of my zigbee equipment with it and moved on to zwave, much more reliable protocol I’ve found.

EDIT: I use this stick for zwave with no issues.

3 Likes
  • To answer you first point. Simply yes. It will take you a moment to work out how to do it via Scripts and Automation, but many people have alarms working on HA!

Of course I did

• You’ll have to link me because I could not find different ISO for RPi2 compared to 3…
    What I mean to say is no. The OS is the same, but of course there is functional differences. From the USB, and IO to the processing power. Hence why 3 is recommended. Having said that, migrating to 3 when your 2 can’t cope is easy.

ZigBee and ZWave, how well does this work?

don’t use those platforms

• That was a typo. “I don’t use those platforms(yet…)” but I do believe it is taxing on the RPi

• Can’t recommend the dongle for the above reason. Maybe someone else can.
    (see @itchaboy 's response regarding ZWave and RPi)

• Read the intro to get a better idea of what tools are available to you. Good luck!

1 Like

You’ll have to link me because I could not find different ISO for RPi2 compared to 3…
What I mean to say is no. The OS is the same, but of course there is functional differences. From the USB, and IO to the processing power. Hence why 3 is recommended. Having said that, migrating to 3 when your 2 can’t cope is easy.

I was looking at this page of the different images. I have a few rpi3’s that are doing other things, but I have a 2 hanging out doing nothing, so I guess I’ll go that route and upgrade to a 3 later since you said it’s easy. Installation - Home Assistant

Thanks for the link. Hadn’t seen that page. The RPi3 is still recommended :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can tell you that I use Smatthings with HomeAssistant and it works great. I use MQTT to relay On/Off commands, and use HomeAssistant more and more for automation. And I use OwnTraks for location based info, with this you can set multiple locations…

I would just say install HA and give it a go, you have some raspberry pi’s so it will not cost you a thing.

I am running the original HomeAssistant (here https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/) on Raspbian not Hass.io (I could not figure out Hass.io with Smatthings). Its running on a Pi 3 b.

2 Likes

Man…I have a lot of Zigbee stuff…and I’ve done a lot to get the damned things working correctly with not much luck. This and this is what I’ve done regarding my ZigBee and ST’s issues. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep my ZigBee stuff.

All I constantly hear is “After I switched to HA, all my issues went away” so I wanted to give it a shot.

All my stuff is Z-Wave…

2 Likes

You can probably use an RPi 2, but HA takes up a lot of processing power to host a web server with a fancy UI, in addition to the backend work. My CPU usage on an RPi 3 is around 5-40%. I suggest you test HA on your RPi 2 and see if you like it.

Location-based automation is definitely more difficult than with Smartthings (ST), since you can easily add a presence sensor in ST and use the ST app on your phone to track. There is an iOS Home Assistant app that can track location, but I never got it working out-of-the-box. There are multiple methods to track whether you are at home or not (if you are connected to your home wireless network), so HA has many options, but none are as easy as ST. I still use ST and WebCore for home automations, and HA to handle media and other cool dashboard stuff, like the floorplan.

It is possible to use ST hub as a dumb hub using a Hass.io add-on called SmartthingsBridge, and an MQTT broker, which is what I did and wrote a tutorial specifically for Hass.io. Ii will warn you that it is not easy to setup or maintain–even though I wrote a detailed tutorial, many people still have struggles setting it up. I still have issues I haven’t resolved, such as sending a command to turn on a Sengled zigbee bulb. I recently migrated my Smartthings and Raspberry Pi hosting HA to a new home, and things have stopped working–not sure why. Also, if you rename devices in Smartthings, then you have to manually update your .yaml files with the correct names. It is a huge pain, and for that reason, I bought a USB zigbee/z-wave stick that I will use instead of Smartthings. I believe using this method, you are reliant on an internet connection. I didn’t fully test, but when my internet was offline, Home Assistant and Smartthings couldn’t do anything (in regards to controlling ST devices).

I started with Smartthings and Actiontiles but found it very limiting. The Home Assistant web UI does a lot more than Actiontiles, like media player, floorplan (a custom component of Home Assistant). Some parts of the HA web UI are limiting, but it has met my needs. Check out the HA demo to see if you want something like this: https://home-assistant.io/demo/

1 Like

I started out with a SmartThings v2 kit. It had the hub and a few zigbee sensors and switches. It was an easy way to try out home automation. For the most part it worked well, but the zigbee sensors are finicky, and after the last couple firmware updates to the SmartThings hub they have become even more so. This may be due to several different reasons, but the 2.4GHz spectrum in my area is crowded. I quickly purchased a Linear HUSBZB-1 zigbee/zwave USB dongle from Amazon for about US$40, added it to a Raspberry Pi 3b and started out with a few zwave devices and Hassbian, then I moved to Hassio. My zwave devices include a colored LED light bulb, a dimmer switch, a simple toggle light switch, some water sensors, and a water main shutoff valve. This variety of sensors allowed me to learn about the various configuration requirements. The zwave devices have remained working since they were connected to HA. My goal is to replace the SmartThings hub and zigbee devices with zwave only devices, and then gift or sell my SmartThings system.

With HA there are many parts and pieces that adds to it’s complexity, but increases it’s flexibility. Keeping my home automation control local is the main reason for my move to Home Assistant.

There is a learning curve and I’ve received some great help, but the community also expects that you do your own research and testing.

I recommend setting up a pilot project with HA on your Raspberry Pi 3 and continue using your SmartThings system until you’ve learned more about HA and are either satisfied with it, or decide it’s not for you. And Hassio may be an easier start with Home Assistant than Hassbian.

1 Like

Can you please post a simple automation code?

All i want if a switch triggered on or off in ST (which i see through the broker/bridge in HA) to switch on another switch i have configured in HA.

Also were you able to install add-ons? I also installed HA on raspbian, they say HASSIO gets installed with a lot of simpler and better features.

But im using my pi for other purposes and i dont want to use it solely for HA.

Here you go, here is an automation where one switch turns off so it turns off the OutdoorPlug (christmas lights) and another switch off with a 6 second delay. Maybe slightly confusing because its two switches almost named the same, Julias_Light and JuliasLight, but there are two separate switches. The condition may not be necessary but I added it…

- alias: 'Julias_lightOffDelay'
    initial_state: True
    trigger:
      platform: state
      entity_id: switch.Julias_Light 
      to: 'off'
    condition:
      condition: state
      entity_id: switch.JuliasLight
      state: 'on'
    action:
      - service: switch.turn_off
        entity_id: switch.OutdoorPlug  
      - delay: 00:00:06
      - service: switch.turn_off
        entity_id: switch.JuliasLight

And I just switched over to HASS.IO, and have this working with MQTT addon. I use the MQTT cloud. Updating is easier, but other than that I don’t see much difference. I mostly switched because HASS.IO had been out for a while and thought it was time to…

Thanks for your feedback.

But from what I see that the Supervisor addon is installed only on HASSIO also you can easily install other addons (with 1 click), and add from github.

Also what do you mean by MQTT cloud?

You will just have to HASSIO a try.

As for the cloud, within https://github.com/stjohnjohnson/smartthings-mqtt-bridge the config has…

mqtt:
    # Specify your MQTT Broker URL here
    host: mqtt://localhost
    # Example from CloudMQTT
    # host: mqtt:///m10.cloudmqtt.com:19427

Default config is local, you can set up a cloud mqtt account, I don’t completely understand it so I cannot and should not comment further. My setup has one Pi running the MQTT items through the cloud and another pi running HASSIO, as I did not know how to set it up with just one pi.