Abandoned and orphaned entities

I have a large number of entities that are orphaned or otherwise no longer valid entities - most via old esphome projects that have fallen by the wayside over time. I know I can go into the Developer section and click the info icon for each one and remove it but I’m wondering if there’s a better way to do a bulk cleanup either via editing a config/text file somewhere or via some addon that allows for easier cleanup that I’m just not aware of?

Thanks,

-joni-

3 Likes

I’d love to know this, too. I’m getting growing numbers of chromecast speaker groups I would like to be rid of without tediously doing them one at a time.

New to HA, and seem to be experiencing the same thing. Guessing maybe there’s a config file I can edit ?

an old post but id thought id bump it to ask the question again if anyone has found a way to mas remove orphaned entities?

Me too…Any thoughts on that?

Me too,
for an android phone doesn’t have a unique id.

Also looking for information as to where I can edit this.
I have a ubiquity device that has a sensor that has lost its unique id for rx.

Bulk actions are available in Settings → Devices → Entities (choose entities from the tabs across the top). Then you can sort by status to find all your unavailable ones listed together; check the boxes to their left, then click “remove selected.”

That doesn’t always work. I definitely have entities in the Entities json that can’t be removed like that. They don’t show up there. But home assistant still sees them, because I get entity name still in use errors

For me, the only ones that I can’t remove that way are ones I have manual configuration entries for in configuration.yaml, groups.yaml, etc. But bulk removing those is easy - just remove those configuration lines and reload the relevant group/ template/mqtt entities.

Does anyone know how to programmatically disable/enable entities? I’ve got some that periodically go unavailable and this is a quick fix I’ve found. Thinking of automating the process though when they’re detected as unavailable.

Check this out.

2 Likes