Add-on Mosquitto broker won't start

Hi all,

I’m new to home assistant (coming from iobroker)and have issues installing an addon (Mosquitto server).
I have hassio on a virtual machine running. Host system is Win10. Installation of the addon runs fine, but when I want to start the addon by clicken the start button (not command line), it just flickers one time and stays on status “stopped”.
I haven’t found any similar issues on this board. Any ideas how to fix this?

Many thanks,
docnight.

Have you configured the addon?

Look at the addon logs page for errors.

Log locks fine. However, no MQTT broker process running, checked at linux command line.

Log:
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc…exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms…exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes…
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts…
[cont-init.d] mosquitto.sh: executing…
[11:43:34] INFO: SSL is not enabled
[cont-init.d] mosquitto.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: executing…
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[11:43:35] INFO: Starting NGINX for authentication handling…
[11:43:36] INFO: Starting mosquitto MQTT broker…
1660038216: Warning: Mosquitto should not be run as root/administrator.
[11:43:38] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
[11:43:39] INFO: Successfully send service information to the Supervisor.

I used this instruction: https://github.com/home-assistant/addons/blob/91e8dc582e75b7759e82441beea8c6165e98c8ee/mosquitto/DOCS.md
However, “how to use” step 1 is already not working.
I tried all other steps either way, but without success. YT videos show that after install you can start the addon and then configure the rest, but thats not working for me :frowning:

The addon itself doesn’t provide anything in the configuration tab.

Ok, seems like it’s running now. The issue was that my firefox was not updated to the latest version. By using the phone I was able to start the service via web GUI. Weird :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for the Firefox comment. I had the same problem on a new windows/home assistant installation, thus new Firefox. I switched to Chrome on an external PC, and I could see that MQTT was installed and running.

In brand-new Firefox MQTT was not listed as installed, and then when reinstalled, would not run, would not configure, and would not appear in the list of installed Add On’s.

In Chrome, all appears and works perfectly.

Curious, indeed.

1 Like

I have the same issue. I followed a you tube tutorial and they install it, after installing do nothing else in the config. Simply hit start and it works immediately. I followed a couple of the videos all without any change start after install with no issues.

OMG why is this not working. Followed many videos without succes. It keeps failing. I need zigbee2mqtt to update faulty smart plugs. Can someone provide a step by step tutorial that actually works. All these videos never show any change in config files or configurations and start out of the box. Hope some one can help me or I will just here to return the faulty zigbee plugs. Indeed this ti update them by the way.

What actually failed to start mosquitto addon or zigbee2mqtt?

A reboot of my pi did the trick. Everything worked after and got zigbee2mqtt working. Have connected my devices but have some issues with my aqara switch [WXKG01LM]. The long press is not working anymore. Also I get i.e. single click and single action as trigger options. Only the action seems to work. I do get long click (does not work) but long action is missing. This was available in ZHA but not in zigbee2mqtt. I need this because I use it to activate alarm. I got recommended to switch to zigbee2mqtt because this was better but I’m not convinced yet. The benefit I see is I can update my items. Anyone familiar with this issue and has a fix?