Add wifi to an older roomba

…for now I’m using this “ghetto-fix”:

I looked up the value for capacity via telnet and substituted “roombaState.capacity;”

root["battery_level"] = (roombaState.charge * 100)/2696;

I know the capacity will change over time but for now, I can get an estimate till the problem is fixed…

1 Like

Perfect… I just ordered the board from OSH. Can you share detailed connection circuit?

It’s on the Github repo here.

Hi

How did you set things up? i have roomba 651 and Brodlink but dont know how to set it up?
Thanx

I just got @johnboiles code running on a nodemcuv2 with a buck converter and a 2N3906 PNP transistor:

vacuum/state {"battery_level":95,"cleaning":false,"docked":false,"charging":false,"voltage":14361,"current":-203,"charge":2581}
vacuum/state {"battery_level":95,"cleaning":false,"docked":false,"charging":false,"voltage":14361,"current":-203,"charge":2581}
vacuum/state {"battery_level":95,"cleaning":false,"docked":false,"charging":false,"voltage":14361,"current":-203,"charge":2580}

Sleep override is currently an issue because I am out of PINs fitting into the serial port. :sweat_smile:

I had to make some adjustments for ArduinoJson 6 to get it compiling. PR is open: https://github.com/johnboiles/esp-roomba-mqtt/pull/37

Now I am going to try to get this thing into hass itself. What is the best way to achieve that?

It doesn’t seem this code supports MQTT discovery, right? https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/mqtt/discovery/

More news. My discovery implementation is running quite nice since some days on my Roomba 780.

You can find the code here: https://github.com/Armadill0/esp-roomba-mqtt/tree/mqtt-discovery_support
A second pull request to @johnboiles repository is open to get this upstream. Unfortunately there hasn’t been much activity on that repository during the last year.

I’m also experimenting with the locate support which I implemented by playing a predefined song. This is currently work in progress. Hopefully I can get this sorted in the next days/weeks. :slight_smile:

@johnboiles any chance u could update the diagram on git to show how to wire the wemos and wemos shield to work with your code?

I use https://github.com/mannkind/ESPHomeRoombaComponent on Wemos D1 mini. To which pin on D1 should I connect BRC that will work with this code?

You configure the pin in the ESPHome configuration. In the example roomba.yaml they use pin 4

I figured it out:
https://github.com/mannkind/ESPHomeRoombaComponent

Annotation 2020-04-28 083328
BRC pin needs to be changed to 2 and then you have to connect Wemos D1 mini pin D4 directly with pin 5 on Roomba (no resistors).

And you have to use PNP transistor on RX pin as it is on

in order to get the data.

I am trying to compile this for my Roomba 650 using ESPHome (HASS.IO/Docker running on Synology). I am using the example ESPHome.yaml from https://github.com/mannkind/ESPHomeRoombaComponent, but receiving an error when trying to compile. I am pretty stuck with this, so would greatly appreciate any help.

My yaml is as follows;
esphome:
name: roomba_001
platform: ESP8266
board: d1_mini

libraries:

- Roomba=https://github.com/Apocrathia/Roomba

includes:
- …/esphome/roomba/src/ESPHomeRoombaComponent.h

substitutions:
name: “Roomba”

state topic, command topic, BRC pin, polling interval

init: ‘RoombaComponent::instance(“roomba_001/state”, “roomba_001/command”, 2, 1000);’

wifi:
ssid: “xxxxxx”
password: “xxxx”

mqtt:
broker: 192.168.xxxxx
discovery: true

logger:
baud_rate: 0
level: info

ota:

custom_component:

• lambda: |-
    auto r = ${init}
    return {r};

sensor:

• platform: custom
    lambda: |-
    auto r = ${init}
    return {r->distanceSensor, r->voltageSensor, r->currentSensor, r->chargeSensor, r->capacitySensor};

sensors:

• name: “${name} distance”
      unit_of_measurement: “mm”
      accuracy_decimals: 0
    • name: “${name} voltage”
      unit_of_measurement: “mV”
    • name: “${name} current”
      unit_of_measurement: “mA”
    • name: “${name} charge”
      unit_of_measurement: “mAh”
    • name: “${name} capacity”
      unit_of_measurement: “mAh”

binary_sensor:

• platform: status
    name: “{name} Status”

• platform: custom
    lambda: |-
    auto r = ${init}
    return {r->chargingBinarySensor, r->dockedBinarySensor, r->cleaningBinarySensor};

binary_sensors:

• name: “${name} charging”
    • name: “${name} docked”
    • name: “${name} cleaning”

ESPHome Reports an issue during compiling the binary;

INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/roomba.yaml…
INFO Generating C++ source…
INFO Compiling app…
INFO Running: platformio run -d /config/esphome/roomba_001
Processing roomba_001 (board: d1_mini; framework: arduino; platform: [email protected])

HARDWARE: ESP8266 80MHz, 80KB RAM, 4MB Flash
Dependency Graph
Compiling /data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o
Linking /data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/firmware.elf
/data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent5setupEv[RoombaComponent::setup()]+0x10): undefined reference to Roomba::start()' /data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o: In function RoombaComponent::setup()’:
main.cpp:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent5setupEv[RoombaComponent::setup()]+0x38): undefined reference to Roomba::start()' /data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent8instanceERKSsS1_hj[RoombaComponent::instance(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned char, unsigned int)]+0xc): undefined reference to Roomba::Roomba(HardwareSerial*, Roomba::Baud)’
/data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent8instanceERKSsS1_hj[RoombaComponent::instance(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&, unsigned char, unsigned int)]+0x59): undefined reference to Roomba::Roomba(HardwareSerial*, Roomba::Baud)' /data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent10on_messageERKSs[RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)]+0x30): undefined reference to Roomba::playSong(unsigned char)’
/data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent10on_messageERKSs[RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&)]+0x34): undefined reference to Roomba::cover()' /data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent10on_messageERKSs[RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)]+0x38): undefined reference to Roomba::dock()’
/data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent10on_messageERKSs[RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&)]+0x3c): undefined reference to Roomba::spot()' /data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o: In function RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&)’:
main.cpp:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent10on_messageERKSs[RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&)]+0xc7): undefined reference to Roomba::playSong(unsigned char)' main.cpp:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent10on_messageERKSs[RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)]+0x103): undefined reference to Roomba::cover()’
main.cpp:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent10on_messageERKSs[RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&)]+0x12f): undefined reference to Roomba::dock()' main.cpp:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent10on_messageERKSs[RoombaComponent::on_message(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)]+0x168): undefined reference to Roomba::spot()’
/data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent6updateEv[RoombaComponent::update()]+0x30): undefined reference to Roomba::getSensorsList(unsigned char*, unsigned char, unsigned char*, unsigned char)' /data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o:(.text._ZN15RoombaComponent6updateEv[RoombaComponent::update()]+0x92): undefined reference to Roomba::getSensorsList(unsigned char*, unsigned char, unsigned char*, unsigned char)’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [/data/roomba_001/.pioenvs/roomba_001/firmware.elf] Error 1
========================= [FAILED] Took 30.41 seconds =========================

I got the following errors when trying to compile the ESPHomeRoombaComponent on ESPHOME 15.1.0:

In file included from src/ESPHomeRoombaComponent.h:2:0,
from src/main.cpp:31:
.piolibdeps/roomba_001/Roomba/Roomba.h:394:21: error: expected ‘)’ before '’ token
Roomba(Serial_
serial = &serial, Baud baud = Baud57600);
^
Compiling .pioenvs/roomba_001/lib70c/ESP8266WiFi/ESP8266WiFiAP.cpp.o
In file included from src/main.cpp:31:0:
src/ESPHomeRoombaComponent.h: In constructor ‘RoombaComponent::RoombaComponent(const string&, const string&, uint8_t, uint32_t)’:
src/ESPHomeRoombaComponent.h:187:77: error: no matching function for call to ‘Roomba::Roomba(HardwareSerial*, Roomba::Baud)’
PollingComponent(updateInterval), roomba(&Serial, Roomba::Baud115200)
^
src/ESPHomeRoombaComponent.h:187:77: note: candidates are:
In file included from src/ESPHomeRoombaComponent.h:2:0,
from src/main.cpp:31:
.piolibdeps/roomba_001/Roomba/Roomba.h:199:7: note: Roomba::Roomba()
class Roomba
^
.piolibdeps/roomba_001/Roomba/Roomba.h:199:7: note: candidate expects 0 arguments, 2 provided
.piolibdeps/roomba_001/Roomba/Roomba.h:199:7: note: constexpr Roomba::Roomba(const Roomba&)
.piolibdeps/roomba_001/Roomba/Roomba.h:199:7: note: candidate expects 1 argument, 2 provided
.piolibdeps/roomba_001/Roomba/Roomba.h:199:7: note: constexpr Roomba::Roomba(Roomba&&)
.piolibdeps/roomba_001/Roomba/Roomba.h:199:7: note: candidate expects 1 argument, 2 provided
*** [.pioenvs/roomba_001/src/main.cpp.o] Error 1
========================= [FAILED] Took 16.69 seconds =========================

I changed the line 394 in the file Roomba.h
from Roomba(Serial_* serial = &serial, Baud baud = Baud57600);
to Roomba(HardwareSerial* serial = &Serial, Baud baud = Baud57600);
аnd the compilation finished without errors.

@sergey732002 You need to pass in a compiler flag manually. I did this with the following modification to the yaml:

esphome:
  name: rosie_roomba
  platform: ESP8266
  board: nodemcuv2
  includes:
    - ../ESPHomeRoombaComponent.h
  libraries:
    - Roomba=https://github.com/Apocrathia/Roomba
  platformio_options:
[u]    build_flags: -D HAVE_HWSERIAL0[/u] 
1 Like

Has anyone done this on an 800 series, specifically an 805?

I found a lot of guide for ones older than mine, but nothing for an 805

Working great on an 800 and 805 here. A small nodemcu or wemos d1 and a regulator even fit in the wheel well under the top cover.

Hi,
I have Roomba 860 and want to connect it to HA and I have two questions:

1. is this the correct shematic for connecting din connector to Wemos D1 mini (v2.2): Add wifi to an older roomba
    I’m worried about connecting unregulated Roomba battery pin to 5V input on D1? What about those two diods in the picture?
    @monaco @MarkDom

2. I don’t want to use MQTT, is there “regular” version with sensors exposed?
    Thanks!

This guy has continued the Roomba ESPHome project, no MQTT https://github.com/Ceiku/ESPHomeRoombaComponent

Thanks, I managed to connect everything with homeassistant api, I wrote my own library.

@johnboiles is the git project abandoned? I would adopt it, maintain and also merge @Armadillo PR. It’s pity to leave this project to die.

1 Like

Today I got a better idea how to connect our “dumb” roombas using builtin roomba addon. If we create a esp firmware which will simulate the behavior of wifi enabled roombas we won’t need MQTT or ESPhome running.

I’ve created an issue on roombapy repo, where I summarized what needs to be done. Read it if you like.

What do you think about this?