Adding IKEA TRÅDFRI On/Off switch to deconz

Yes this is currently the only way to add it. Please consider updating deCONZ to the latest version 2.05.64 and the respective latest firmware version.

While switch search is running you need to press the small button next to the battery quickly 4 times, so that the LED flashes.

Thanks. Apparently I didn’t push hard enough on the reset button, but now it works :grinning:

I have the newest version of the add on, but I will update it once a newer is available. I think the official one is newer than the marthoc one.

I have this switch and notice that it possibly can be used for dimming as well as simple on/off.

It generates the following events:

Click and immediately release On/Off: 1002/2002
Click and hold On/Off: 1001/2001
Release after hold On/Off: 1003/2003

Anyone that have pointers to Appdaemon scripts or automations that will implement dimming functions based on this?

The example in component documentation should be enough https://www.home-assistant.io/components/deconz/#appdaemon-remote-template

Thanks for the fast reply - but I could not really find anything useful in the component documentation.

The way this button works is that the single 1001 event should trigger something that will gradually increase the (e.g.) light until a 1003 event (or possibly a timeout) is reached.

I was interested in how that should be handled in Appdaemon (or an automation) - I guess just looping with a 1 second sleep timer until a 1003 is received would be a bad thing.

The long press should send a new event every second, that is what you want

Nope - it does not. It sends a single 1001 when it’s pressed down, and then it does nothing until it is released and then it sends 1003.

Well. Then you need to trigger some method that increments brightness until it gets canceled by a release signal

I have managed to add the switch to deconz, but it only gets listed under “switches” and not in the main interface. What am I doing wrong?

This is an issue with deCONZ and not with home assistant, so it’s better to ask the developers of the deCONZ software. I don’t know why it is not showing there, but why do you need this?

i dont see it there either in the main interface? but why do you care? they dont need to there visible to actually use them in HA

Please refer to this thread by KennethLavrsen:

It describes how to easily configure on/off switch to dim/brighten lights. Works like a charm, just tested it in my installation.

Sharing my instructions to pair Ikea devices to Deconz…

It almost brought me to tears on how much it woudn’t work. Lightbulbs were the worst but pairing the on/off buttons were also a nightmare. What I found that has been working so far:
(Using Hassio)

1. Open the Deconz pairing page (I open it from Home Assistant but in not: https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/pwa/)
  2. Click on the Hamburger menu top left - then choose what you need (ex: lights)
  3. Add new light or whatever
  4. At that point… Start with light ON - then turn off and on six times (video here) , If successful he light with give a very small flash (and when I say small, I noticed it for the first time after pairing several lights. It’s a little flash of intensity on the bulb)
  5. Wait 10-15 secs to see if anything happens. If not:
  6. Turn on and off other deconz devices on your network. I open a second tab with Home Assistant and ask it to turn on my kitchen switch for example. Just to "get the juice flowing"…
  7. (Of course, if it’s your first one on your deconz network … you’ll have to be patient and redo the pairing for as long as you need. It took up to 20 times for me once)
  8. It pairs…

Note: on the sensor page, you get a weird and stressfull page telling you to set device in pairing more (hold pariing button for 5 secs) with a greyed “next” button. Relax. You are on the good page. This IS the pairing page… The next is only once pairing is successful.

Hi @Ikeays
thanks for that nice little walkthrough. For bulbs it did work out for me (i was close to punch through my laptop…), but it will not recognize my Tradfri remotes. I tried it with 10 s button pressing, with 5 times pressing. Nothing.No reaction. The “Next” Button on the pairing page stays greyed out. There is no progress bar or anything similar to the bulb pairing page. Is this normal?

I paired 2 of them last week and it was exactly like you said… Greyed and nothing happened. But guess what, once I left that page (refresh or else), the switch did showed up in it - it had paired.
This being said…
In Home Assistant, it doesn’t create an “entity”. It’s weird. But it works in automation is you use “device”.

It only creates a battery entity. The rest is handled through events. Whenever you press a button there will be an event fired of the type “deconz_event”, which will contain the code for the pressed button and the id of the remote.

3 Likes

Hello to all,

just bought a IKEA on/off switch but Deconz 2.5.81 cannot recognize it and so neither does phoscon.
Does anyone else has this issue?

In Deconz I see a node which is the switch but not fully recognized…

I use both the 2 button and 5 button switches in Deconz. They pair fine

Remember that remote controls with buttons only appear in Home Assistant as battery entities which are imported with the default name from Phoscon before you had the chance to rename it in Phoscon

And the button presses are events! Buttons are stateless. They cannot be on or off. They create events. Events for press, long press release, short release for each button. You can see the events in the event viewer.

It can happen that a device only gets half paired in Deconz. I only see it with motion sensors from Philips. They either repair them selves after some hours or you just keep on pairing them until all sensors work.

But I have never seen a problem with an Ikea Remote control (switch). They pair like a couple of rabbits.

1 Like

I have exactly the same issue. I see the node in VNC, but it’s not appearing to Phoscon.

There have always been problems with pairing devices to DeConz and I’m now slowly moving away from it. At one point I had over 100 devices connected via DeConz but enough is enough… too many devices dropping out and not pairing.

When the battery of the switch ran out (after 18 months or so) it didn’t reappear in DeConz. I solved it by going to the Switches section in Phoscon and pressing “Add new switch” > “Other”. Then keep holding down the reset button until the red light in the switch starts pulsing. Within a few second DeConz then recognizes it and the switch starts working again.

1 Like