Adding sonoff mini to a 2 way wall switch

Hi I live in Australia, so things might be look a little bit different.

I am trying to hook up a sonoff mini between a 2 way switches ( the switches are both in a 2 gang switch that are used to turn off/on stairs light from both upstairs and downstairs. And only 1 switch among the 2 gang switches is L1 in downstairs and only 1 switch among the 2 gang switches is L2 in upstairs. The other switch on the gang switch is used for some other light. See photo for more details.)

I am pretty sure that light bulb cable is wired to L2 and power cable is wired to L1. How do I confirm it?

Adding sonoff mini according the diagram (from itead website) in this situation isnā€™t possible to do without digging holes in the wall to re-wire the 2way switch and bulb circuit, I think.

I do not mind if in order for sonoff mini to work I always have to keep one of the switched turned on.

Some idea I had:

1. The L2 common red wire goes to L-out in sonoff mini (as this is the light wire)
  2. I need to add/connect another wire (red/active/live) to power on L2 (see the red circle called power on L2 switches) and wire that in L-in in sonoff mini.
  3. I need to add a neutral from sonoff mini (one of the N-in) to the neutral connector.
  4. What about s1 and s2?? where would they go on L2?
    ** I can only use either L1 or L2. but not both at the same time (because the switched are far apart).

How do add a sonoff mini here?
Please help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Hi fellow aussie
Iā€™m in Sydney.
Iā€™ve installed shelly 1 & 2 in single and 2 ways around my home
From the pic your load in is on L2 and you load out to the light is on L1
L2 has a 2.5 twin and earth L1 doesnā€™t. But can I ask the other red wire on the connect to the right of the pic is that going to another switch ?
Iā€™m going to look at the details on the sonoff site and get back to you on how you should wire it.
Do you have a volt stick ?

In addition, be careful with the sonoff mini, you canā€™t put 230 volt on the s1/s2 entries. If you want to do that, you need a shelly.

Okay.
Turn of power volt stick to verify
To test which is which the load in or out remove the centre cable from each and cap them
Turn on power and use the volt stick to see which has power.

From what Iā€™ve read and what I see. You wonā€™t be able to use it as a 2 way unless you run another single wire from L1 TO L2
S1 and s2 can not be connect to any active or neutral.
Important
You not on three phase are you ? If you are how many light circuits do you have at the fuse box. Hopefully only one and hopefully your not on three phase. Reason I say this is you have to be sure that the other 2.5 twin and earth that is at L2 is on the same phase so you can use that for your L -in and N-in connections on the mini
You will need to remove the Load in on L1 pic and cap it take the load out on L2 and put that on you Lout on the mini.
If you want the 2 way I would use the mini on another light thatā€™s not 2way and get a shelly 1 which will work with the 2 way and you wonā€™t need to run any additional wires.
If you need help as I said Iā€™m in Sydney

Harry,
I largely agree with you (as I have with most of your posts Iā€™ve seen) but looking at the pictures of the 2 way switches (Americanā€™s look away at this point as we donā€™t want to get into a 2-way / 3-way argument on a switch that only has two positions) most of the poles are wired - apart from the lower right on the second picture. (strangely)
If the switches worked before as exclusive orā€™s they should work that way now as per the sonoff picture right at the bottom of the OP.
It is very difficult to make difinitive electrical statements at a distance and just from photographs.
But what I would do is : - get a continuity tester and a long lead of wire (there are shortcuts to avoid the latter but difficult to explain to a non-electricial person (not you Harry).
Send the family out for the day. (though a work-mate to phone for an ambulance is always a good idea)
Turn the power off at the incomer.
Label ALL wires at both locations 1 to 99 or whatever (tape and a sharpie)
Draw a diagram showing current connections (as a reset state)
Separate ALL wires in both locations (not anywhere else)
Is it likely that the upstairs and downstairs are on different breakers ?
Regardless - with main incomer off you can connect into the consumer unit and determine the live feeds (bearing in mind that one or two ā€˜mayā€™ be feeds to other light circuits but are now dead so they may show a connection to neutral through the other bulbs etc. so check resistance after the continuity. Cold bulbs show little resistance to earth, multiple bulbs even less). Do the same for neutral and earth (which should be obvious for the earth (most electricians are fairly scrupulous about marking Earthā€™s)) but the neutralsā€¦ See above about liveā€™s.
Then just bell from one switch position to the other to establish which end of which wire you have.
Any ā€˜demiā€™ neutrals you have (that were live on your diagram) isolate (cap off) reassemble the circuits leaving them out. Power up and see what other circuits now donā€™t work.
Consult the diagram. Isolate, reconnect a ā€˜liveā€™ to ā€˜liveā€™ de-isolate, any changes ?
Rinse and repeat. Till you have all circuits working apart from these two.
See what wires you have left. And where they run from / to.
Of these (and your known lives and neutrals) can you establish a circuit like the sonoff diagram ?

Having Re-read this, this is fairly normal for an electrician, but the concepts maybe arenā€™t 100% clear, AND this stuff is dangerous.

So Iā€™ve changed my mind : -
Get an electrician in

$150 is not worth the risk to life

Hello Muttley
Aussie wiring may seem strange to Americans, I know American wiring confuses the hell out of me. and I know what iā€™m doing. Aussie wiring has standards. and yes if you donā€™t know what your doing it can kill you.
That being said it clear from the pics how its setup. what isnt clear from the pics is if he has 3 phase power and if there are more than 1 light circuit, most of the time in Aus its 1 light circuit and several power circuits, but in new homes they have added more than one as the amount of lights that go into a new home has increase over the years from what was years ago you only found 1 single light per room.
but its not a worry if he is on single phase and has more than one light circuit. it the 3 phase that is of concern.
anyway i get what your saying
and i agree
240v can kill you more so than 110v

Harry,
Understood and agree.

May I ask why Harry13 when a George variant would be closer ?
Forgive my ignorance, but Iā€™m intregued.

Hi @Harry13
Thanks very much for your reply. I am also in Sydney.

Rephrasing:
ā€œRemove centre cable one at a time and turn power on then check with test pen (aka volt stick?) to check which has powerā€? ā€” thatā€™s a very clever idea. Problem is the test pen/volt stick I have beeps as soon as I get it near the switch because of 2nd gang switch as that definitely has power. But will give it a try.

ā€œ You wonā€™t be able to use it as a 2 way unless you run another single wire from L1 TO L2ā€ you may be right. I have scratched my head long enough and couldnā€™t figure out. You recon I should be able wifi control the light (and maintain the 2 way switch for manual turn on/off) using Shelly? Would you recommend Shelly 1 or Shelly 2? If you could show a photo of your setup that would be immensely helpful.

ā€œ You not on three phase are you ?ā€ I am on 3 phase. I could see 6 or 7 circuits breaker marked as ā€œlightā€ in the fuse box. I made a huge assumption that the twin wire on L2 is connected to L1. What are the possibilities of it going to some other switches as well (I have few 2 way switches for some of my downlights). This is a new built so again making a huge assumption that stairs light (the one I am trying to wifi) is on the same phase.

Where did you get Shelly? I ordered sonoff from eBay for shorter postage time. Where can I find (online or instore) Shelly?

ā€œ If you need help as I said Iā€™m in Sydneyā€ ā€” it would be great to connect. Whatā€™s the best way? I will always need help (as I am just getting started) and you are already an expert :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Hey Ali
i have a volt stick that does the same, over sensitive it goes off when you get close
you should be able to cap the centre wires and move them away just enough to verify which is active with out getting close to the other switch thatā€™s on the gang plate.
once you identify the load in and the load out. you then need to check that the other wires on the L1 (assuming thats the load out) are on the same circuit. so turn off each light breaker and check one at a time till you donā€™t have power at the switch but i saying turn off, check (still on) turn on, turn off check (still on) turn on, turn off , check (not on) great check all cables at that switch. if there all off then Fantastic !
if you need a shelly, i know they are hard to find here in Aus, i do have a few i can sell to you
i bought direct from Bulgaria
anyway i think its getting a little to confusing on here for you to safely understand or for me to safely convey to you.
you may need to contact me okay

Can i just say heā€™s my brother from another mother

1 Like

Iā€™ve also got the Sonoff Mini and want to connect it to 2 way switches, does it work when you add the single wire from L1 to L2? I only have 3 wires on most of my switches, the COM cable, the L1 cable and the L2 cable. Which positions does each cable go on the Sonoff Mini?

Hey Elias
S1 and S1 are not active or neutral
They are soft switches

So how do I connect them? There is no neutral wire behind the 2way switch. I only have Com, L1 and L2 wired.

Got to love (aus) wiring; Iā€™ve managed to get all the plain 1/2/3 gang switches replaced with WiFi panels, as they all had proper neutral wiring. Got some 4 gang switches Iā€™d like to do, but many of them are also part of 2(AUS)/3(US) way switches, plus a few 1 gang, 2 ways, and a 1 gang 3way

Having checked a 1gang 2way (at both switches), Iā€™ve got what appears to be this type of set up -https://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/Toolbox/electrotech/toolbox1204/resources/04diagrams/04lighting/03_2way_sw.htm where the power is at the light end, not the switch end - this appears to be the same as @alinahid and @Elias_Michalas and I assume unsuitable for a sonoff mini unless I can get behind the light fitting itself (yes in some cases)?

Will a shelly help here - iā€™ve not seen any wiring diagrams for it.

Hi everyoneā€¦ Old post, but I think you should help me!!!

I am from Brazil, on a 3 phase system (110v each phase and Neutral), and want to install a ā€œShelly Likeā€ device for a 2 way setup just like @alinahid has at home.

I got these chinese devices, that has actives S1, S2 and S3
https://shopee.com.br/product/722408046/14385072918

Could you tell me if the Device feeding and Switches L wire MUST be from the same phase???
Thanks