Advice for workaround to address LZW30-SN reporting bug

I have two Inovelli switches, a LZW-30SN (red series on/off switch) and LZW31-SN (red series dimmer). The LZW31-SN is installed in my bedroom in no-load configuration (auxiliary switch), and the LZW30-SN is installed in the attic crawlspace (load switch, it controls my master bedroom light and was the easiest way to set up the wiring without having to fish through walls). The auxiliary (LZW31-SN) controls the load switch (LZW30-SN) through direct association.

When triggered by the Zwave direct association the LZW30-SN does turn on/off and report status back to the LZW31-SN. However, the LZW30-SN fails to report the status change to the controller (managed by ZwaveJS). Thus, Home Assistant never realizes that the master bedroom light was turned on.

Work-arounds I’ve tried include:

• Showing and controlling the auxiliary device (LZW31-SN) in Home Assistant instead of the load (LZW30-SN). This does not work because when Home Assistant sends a command to the auxiliary device, it is not relayed to the load switch because the load switch is a basic on/off switch and Home Assistant is sending a dimmer command to the auxiliary switch.
  • Adding the controller to the on/off association group of the LZW30-SN. This used to work, but the April update of ZwaveJS and Home Assistant broke this. The debug logs shown in the ZwaveJS2Mqtt gateway indicate that the server is seeing the report (i.e., the node brightness goes from 0 => 255 and 255 => 0); however, this is not recognized as a state change in the load switch.

Any other ideas? The other option would be to have Home Assistant listen for events on the auxiliary switch and then control the load switch via an automation. However, direct association is pretty critical for me for two reasons (speed and no reliance on a server in case there’s a hardware failure or there’s a breaking change to the Zwave/Home Assistant integration and I don’t have time to fix it right away).

Let me share this with Eric M (our CTO) to see if it’s something we can address with the manufacturer if it’s something on our end :slight_smile:

Thanks @Eric_Inovelli! Customer service reached out to me and will be exchanging the LZW30-SN for a LZW31-SN (which does support lifeline reporting).

@Eric_Inovelli Just swapped out the devices. Pairing works perfectly and status updates are great. Thank you so much for looking into this. Very happy with this and looking forward to the LZW31-SN coming back in stock so I can buy a few more.

1 Like