Advice on how to add a zigbee and/or z-wave hub

Hello, I have Home Assistant running through docker on my Synology NAS right now. I only have TP-Link smart switches and plugs at the moment which all work over wifi so everything has been incredibly easy so far. Now I’d like to add a few more devices like some smart buttons and other sensors and it looks like I’ll need to add Zigbee or Z-Wave support for that. If I were running Home Assistant like most do on a Pi or other dedicated machine I think the easiest solution would be one of those USB dongles (like this for example). The problems are

1. My NAS is currently inside my network rack in my basement
  2. Home Assistant is running in a docker container

I don’t think there’s much chance of a dongle like that reaching devices on the 2nd floor reliably from the basement through the metal server rack and 2 floors. Even if it would though, I’m also not confident that trying to mount a USB device into a docker container through a NAS where I have limited control as it is would be a great experience.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other ways I could handle this issue? Or are my fears overblown and the linked dongle would work fine?

You should be good to go with a dongle. Depending on what DSM version you use, you 'll need drivers for it - but you can get them and instructions here: http://www.jadahl.com/
I’ve never tried Z-Wave, so can’t talk about that one, but Zigbee devices can create mash network. You just need mains powered device here and there to extend the network, so even 2 floors shouldn’t be the issue.
One recommendation is to use extension USB cable - try to move dongle away from Synology as there can be interference from it.
I’ve tested few Zigbee stick and they all work great - cc2531 that I wouldn’t recommend anymore, cc2652rp from slae.sh that I still use as primary, Sonoff USB 3.0 dongle with original and new firmware and latest Sonoff 3.0 P stick with original firmware.
All were tested on Synology DSM 7.0
But of course, your mileage may vary

1 Like

For Zigbee you can buy network connected coordinators, such as the ones from Tube. I’d recommend you steer clear of anything WiFi based though.

Both Zigbee and Z-Wave are, as the BeardedTinker says, mesh networks. If you put a USB stick on one of those (which is a good thing to do regardless) then you can move it outside of the rack and use mains powered devices to extend the reach.

The other option for Z-Wave is to run the Z-WaveJS server component on a remote Pi that you connect the coordinator to (with a USB extension cable). It doesn’t have to run on the same computer as HA. For Zigbee you can use Zigbee2MQTT in the same way.

Thanks for the replies! Given that the coordinators linked are either out of stock or fairly expensive, would you both agree that a USB dongle like the Nortek with a USB extension cable to get it out of the rack would be a good choice? I have been recommended the Sonoff 3.0 P stick by others but it looks like it’s about as obtainable as a Raspberry Pi these days. I’d love to go with those just because I very much trust recommendations over what I randomly find online, does anyone know of a place where they are available and ship to the US?

The Nortek is a meh choice.

I’d recommend something CC2652 based. Tube is US based, and has a waiting list.

Understood. It was compelling to me because it appears to be both a z-wave and zigbee hub which would be really nice for me.

If I go with this choosing the ethernet option I assume that means I could connect it to my switch and it would work fine, no direct connection required?

Yes, that’s how they’re intended to be used.

Agree. ALL my zigbee headaches disappeared when I replaced the Nortek with a CC2652 stick.

To be fair, another mix of conditions and devices could give Nortek the advantage, but I can only report my experience. I’ve added more types and brands of devices since the swap and the Sonoff dongle has kept going without any problems.