Advice on what type of "smart" lights I should research

I’d like to know what my options are when it comes to implementing a “smart” light system.
I’d like the following:

• radio communication but not wifi, that can cover a radius of about 10m
  • on/off and optionally dim, but color is not a priority
  • coexistence with traditional light switches. I have no idea how new bulbs get wired. Are you supposed to leave them always on and control it only from the app?
  • no cloud/apps (or the option to disable it). I intend to control it only from HomeAssistant
  • bonus points if the software of the bulb is open source/has custom firmware, so that they won’t be obsoleted by the manufacturer
  • competitive price per bulb
  • bonus if the same technology can also control sensors, relays, etc

I know a bit about zigbee, but I am not experienced with this technology and I could use a comparison between the available features.

Thanks!

Actually, I’ve been thinking - I don’t think I want to change the bulbs. I’d prefer to change the light switch instead…

After some searching, it seems that SonOff switches are the cheapest alternative and can be integrated with existing light switches with a bit of tweaking and soldering.

They’re very good, I actually use Basics so I can use the original switch too but the principle is the same.

They do fail on your first two requirements though, they’re WiFi and they can’t dim.

Z-Wave is the expensive option, but it’s an entire ecosystem that allows you to use any Z-Wave Plus device from any manufacturer.

@Bobby_Nobble: You’re right. I’m hoping wifi will not be an issue with their esp chipsets - we’ll see. I hope they don’t disconnect and remain offline often. Regarding dimming - on second thought I would need bulbs that support dimming, so that’s another expense.

@Tinkerer: Yes, ZWave would be ok if there are other ZWave things in the house.

I have no issues with wifi personally but do make sure you have a capable router that can deal with the large number of devices you’ll have running on your network and has wifi that is still a decent strength where your furthest switch will be.