Aeotec Customer Service Is GREAT!

Wanted to give a shout out to Aeotec for some AWESOME customer service - I have one of these - ZW089 Door Sensor - in a closet door to handle the light in that closet. Something happened to it a couple of weeks ago - I thought it was a dead battery, but after replacing the battery, it still didn’t work right (had to tap/hit/shake it for it to light up) - confirmed battery was seated/making contact ok - so emailed customer service at Aeotec to see if they had input - said it sounded bad to them as well. Asked me when I bought unit - told them purchase date and I was literally past the warranty date by about a week or so. I didn’t even ask - they OFFERED to replace it even though the date had passed. Right on time - it arrived yesterday and installed this morning - back in action. That’s some great customer service in my book. Thanks Aeotec for some great customer service!

1 Like

Thanks for your input! I’m considering to buy one but I’ve got a couple of questions that maybe you can answer:

• I’m going to place it in my entrance door, which is a mix between wood and metal. Do you think the device is able to transmit if metal parts are in the nearby?
  • Does it report battery state to HA?
  • If the door is not going to be opened for let’s say 1 month, can the device send periodic heartbeats? (just to know that the device is ok, although there has not been a change in the door state)

Thanks again.

@timseebeck - I’ll answer as best I can to help :wink:

I’m going to place it in my entrance door, which is a mix between wood and metal. Do you think the device is able to transmit if metal parts are in the nearby?

• Don’t know how it will handle wood vs metal. The way the sensor is setup/built - one side goes in the door jam and one in the door - the magnet can’t be ‘that’ strong - and they line up - I would assume that it would be ok in a metal door, but would be best to ask Aeotec.

Does it report battery state to HA?

• I’m pretty sure it does - I don’t have battery states setup but the zwave entity shows battery - so you should be able to create a battery sensor in HASS and alert off of it etc - see pic:

If the door is not going to be opened for let’s say 1 month, can the device send periodic heartbeats? (just to know that the device is ok, although there has not been a change in the door state)

• This one I’m not sure if it can be done or not - there may be some setting you can set on the device or something along those lines to get what you want - but I’d ask Aeotec on this one for sure.

Hope this helps a bit!

Take care!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @vexter0944
Very helpful! I’ll ask Aeotec about the heartbeats

1 Like

You’re quite welcome! Hope it helped a bit :wink: