Aeotec Smart Switch 6 (How do I use the Power sensors?)

I have a couple Aeotec Smart Switch 6 integrated into HA using SmartThings. I can use the plug fine and turn it off and on but how can I use the power meter as a sensor? I am not seeing the kwh as a sensor, only the plug itself. Do I need yet another integration or do I have to use a different hub to add these to get this to work? Like a zwave usb stick? I’m at a standstill here.

local bdf67d221aac

I can see the kwh when I click on the entity but cannot seem to use it as a sensor for creating automations. This is the exact device here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJNL5DB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you

Create a template sensor that extracts the attribute from the entity. Go to Developer Tools -> States and search for the Smart Switch then you see the name of the attribute that contains the power measure.

Thank you for the tip! I’ll have at it when I get back to the office. This is new to me but I’m learning quickly.

Ok. So here are the attributes of the plug.

Now I need to figure out templating to create a new sensor from it.

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      kitchen_led2_power:
        value_template: "{{ state_attr('switch.kitchen_led2', 'current_power_w') }}"
        friendly_name: Power Led 2 Küche

Would it be current_power_w instead of current_power? In the value?

current_power_w of course, was just a typo, I edited my post.

1 Like

Works great, thank you!

Can I buy you a coffee?

I don’t drink coffee :stuck_out_tongue: Even if I would drink coffee, you wouldn’t need to buy me one. I’m happy when I’m able to help others :slight_smile:

Well, I may need further help. And that was referring to a donation.

I want to use this to create an automation to send notifications when the dryer is started and stopped. I’m aware of how to create automations but not sure what trigger type this would be best to use.

I do appreciate your help and I am a mouse asking for a cookie here lol.

There are multiple ways to achieve this. Do you only want to show whether the dryer is running or not or also some intermediate steps?
Do you want something like:
If current_power_w > 20 -> dryer is running, else -> dryer is not running
Or do you also need some delay like:
If current_power_w < 20 for 20 minutes -> dryer is finished

My wife simply wants to know when the dryer is finished running so she knows when to get the laundry out. Our dryer is in the basement and we cannot hear the buzzer.

I was just unaware of how to do this without getting multiple notifications that the power is back to idle power level. Maybe a numeric state?

EDIT: It takes about an hour for our dryer to run a course. I’ll be doing this for the washer too if the plug supports them both which I think it does. (15A)

You need to track how the power draw changes during a drying cycle. E.g. the dryer we have draws power during the drying, then the power draw goes to 0, however you can only empty the dryer something like 20 minutes after it stopped drawing power (probably to let the clothes cool down a bit, I don’t know). Some dryers also have multiple steps, they draw power then stop for 5 minutes and then draw power again.

If you simply want a notification when the power draw goes below certain threshold for 10 minutes you can use a trigger like this:

automation:
  trigger:
    platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.dryer_power_w
    below: 20
    for:
      minutes: 10
  action:
    your action when the dryer is finished

1 Like

I get the idea. Really appreciate your time. I’m going to do more with this later when I get back to it.

I’ll have to study the power draw like you said so I know what it does and when. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Just come back when you are facing some issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weird issue.

I went down there to run some testing and the plug powers the washer fine. Even ran it for a while but it will not read the power usage. So I thought it was the plug. Took a different one down there that I already use and it did the same thing. It powers the washer but doesn’t display any power statistics. I’m stumped. Then I thought maybe it’s too much power? Don’t know.

Were you still able to turn the plug on/off via HA?

Yes I could.

Maybe it will start reporting when you leave it there for a few hours/days, don’t know but worth a try.

True. I thought about that too but the other 2 started reporting right away. Worth a shot I suppose!