Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 Reliability Issues

Hello All,

If there is a more appropriate thread for this issue please move it.

I have the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 that I am using to control all kinds of switches and get input from a few multi sensors around the house. I have noticed that after a few days the Z-Stick will become unresponsive. Not sure why this is happening. After I reboot everything works as it should. I would love if there was a way to have HA reboot only the Z-Stick once a day at midnight.

For now adjust my HA reboot automation for a few more days in the week and see if that helps.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

What Z-Wave integration are you using?

I am using this integration…

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 1.55.39 PM

Hi, I use the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 and have more that double the devices you do, my Zwave network has been rock solid for well over a year (much more reliable than my Zigbee network).

I am wondering if there might be something else causing your problems … what is your coverage like in terms of where devices are located, are your devices all battery powered meaning you might need repeaters, have you looked through the logs for errors.

If you do want to go down the daily restart option then there are a whole bunch of services that you can call from an Automation (look under Developer Tools - Services then type “zwave”). I don’t know what all these do but there are services for: heal_network, test_network, start_network, stop_network. Using these you could presumably say stop the network at midnight, wait a couple of minutes, then restart it.

Good luck!

Are you using a Pi? If so, try using a usb 2.0 port and or an extension cable to get the stick away from the ports. Also, you can try a powered usb hub. I had issues with zwave and zigbee using a pi, so I moved to an nuc.

Thank you for the responses guys,

Jonah1970: I took your advice and created a “ZWave Soft Reset” automation that will trigger at 01:00:00 every day. We will see if that helps. I also have HA “Restart” at 00:15:00 every other day just to keep things fresh. I do have a lot more ZWave devices deployed around the house but I went through and re-setup my Zwave network in order to figure out what is causing the issue. I have not looked at the logs for errors but will if this does not fix it. I’ll be sure to post if things do not improve.

chemgeek: Yes I am using a PI4 with the ZWave gateway connected via a small USB hub. I did read someplace that for some reason this is the only way it will work. Something about the USBs on the PI not being compatible with the ZStick. Anyhow, this configuration seems to work. If this issue is not fixed by the creation of the “ZWave Soft Reset” automation then i’ll have to dig deeper into why. For now let’s see what this does.

Will update

Cheers

Good Day All,

Time for a little update,

My Zwave network was again unresponsive this morning. And after a reboot it was then normal again. This is even after I created an automation for the ZWave network to “Soft Reset” in the middle of the night. So I guess back to square one… :thinking:

Device:
I have the Aeotec Gen 5 ZStick…

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.01.01 AM

Configuration:
I have the ZStick connected to a RasPI 4 via a USB HUB. As mentioned previous, due to some design flaw in the Ras PI I cant connect it to any of the PIs USB ports because of some compatibility issue. I did try and the PI did not recognize the ZStick. Currently the PI is connected to my home network wirelessly.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.20.40 AM

The physical location of the PI should not be an issue. It is in my home office and our home is only approx. 1400 SF in size. ZWave devices (all ZWave Plus) are fairly close in range. Also, all the devices I have, I made sure, are capable of signal repeating. When the network is operating I have no issues with devices not responding to commands. So with this I will say I am confident that the devices are not the issue here, it has to be a HA configuration Issue. I looked over the logs and did not see anything.

Integration
The Integration I am using in HA is “ZWave”. I did see another integration available that is called “Open ZWave Beta”. Maybe i’ll dig into that and see what this is, how it is different and if this will be a more stable integration. Any info on this?

Automations
As mentioned I do have the PI restart every other day. This is the only automation that I would think may cause issues.

Next Steps

1 - Disable the HA Reboot automation and see if this changes anything. Maybe it does not like being rebooted via automation.

2 - Master Reset the ZStick (again) and make sure all the devices have been properly excluded from the network. Once that is done only add one device and see if that works.

3 - Explore the Open ZWave integration and see if this is a better application.

will update

Alright time for an update…

It appears that by disabling the HA Reboot automation that my ZStick does not lose connection like it used to. Going over the logs, I see that everything is acting exactly like it should.

Interesting that an automation to Reboot HA causes an issue, but if I (the user) reboot through the system tab there is no issues. And I have also done a hard reboot (switched the power off and back on) and that did not seem to be an issue. Nevertheless, things are working again.

In the beginning, having HA reboot itself, seemed like a good thing. To keep things fresh. But now I dont think ill be doing that.

Cheers