Alexa Multilanguage

Hi,

I live in Montreal, Canada and was looking to see if there was anyway to get my Alexa integration working in both languages. Alexa responds to me in English or French with no problems but I can’t find how to have a light respond to “Living Room” and “Salon” at the same time.

I may be wrong but I don’t believe that support for multiple languages means it can automatically translate device names. It knows the device by whatever name was used to register it.

I think you would need a means to give a device an alias. In other words, if the device is registered as “Living Room” you would also want it to have an alias of “Salon”.

As far as I know there’s no official support for a device alias but a workaround is to create a group named “Salon” containing just a single device, “Living Room”.

EDIT

Just a thought but you could try renaming “Living Room” to “Living Room Salon”. As long as no other device’s name contains the words “Living” or “Salon”, I believe Alexa will correctly identify the device if you refer to it as “Living Room” or “Salon” because it performs a ‘best-fit’ word-match. That’s why it sometimes ask you to clarify which device you want if you specify a phrase that is found in more than one device.

Yes, what i’m looking for is exactly that, being able to put “nicknames” or “aliases” like with Google.

Would it be possible in HA to push 2 devices to Alexa one in French and one in English?

I don’t understand what you mean by that. I’ll leave that question for someone else to answer.

Create template sensors with different names for each item exposed. Otherwise, there is no way as alexa does not accept aliases.