Alternative firmware for Arilux AL-LC03 for use with MQTT and Home Assistant (RGB light strip controller)

Thanks a lot. I have 2 controllers working with this firmware. The only things I noticed missing apart from auto discovery were options for using a non standard port for the MQTT server or certificate based authentication in the config file but seeing as I am using a standard port and password it works fine.

1 Like

I have flashed the firmware with autodiscovery enabled and I’ve added discovery: true to the config of HA. Restarted HA and booted the Arilux. When/how will the device be discovered ?

When I tail -f /home/hass/.homeassistant/home-assistant.log|grep mqtt I don’t see any relevant logging…

Is anyone using this firmware with TLS? If so I would be interested to see your config files for mosquitto and HA

hey man thanks for the project i was wonder if you can point me on the right direction im new to homeassistant
what is the exact configuration that i have to flash ? i copy the file example and change the mqtt configuration to mach my mosquitto broker config. but did not worked for me hope you can help thanks again

What is this, links?

Thanks

Pogo pins are spring loaded electrical connectors used to make temporary connection during programming. ESP8266 12s or EXs have small indented holes on their GPIO traces for pogopins.

Here is a video of an example programming jig.

mmhh so I can buy omething like this, and I can connect without soldering correct?

Here are sooo many choices, could you tell me the correct dimensions for

http://www.ebay.it/itm/5-pcs-Spring-Test-Probe-Pogo-Pin-Receptacle-sonda-di-prova-a-scelta-/161604967111?var=&hash=item25a0681ac7:m:mmAVPOodTqo2yUQ-h5z7OMQ

http://www.ebay.it/itm/50pcs-P75-J1-Dia-1-02mm-100g-Spring-Test-Probe-Pogo-Pin-/132158389046?hash=item1ec540fb36:g:RPAAAOSwc49Y793s

1 Like

I have flashed 3 of these controllers and only soldered on of them. I have found I can balance wires on the pads underneath (method 2 without soldering) as described on the github page long enough to flash them.

I did the same with the assistance of my 2 kids. Works.

Owntracks offers a script to generate the keys and a tutorial to use TLS. I describe the configuration here.

1 Like

hey mertenats thanks for sharing your project i have on question hope you can help
i have everthing ready to flash the sketch but don’t know witch one is the sketch i download the file from copy and paste the sample.h file into arduino ide i changed settings to my MQTT broker (mosquitto) SSD and password and flashed it but don’t work for me maybe im flasshing wrong one hope you can help thanks again

Now I have 3 Arilux, and they work pretty well with its original firmware, app, and HA integration.

What is really better with this firmware: mqtt integration (which is nice), and what else?

Hey Gents

I ordered a couple more Arilux controllers so long ago from ALIexpress and actually forgot. They should just call themselves ALI :smiley:

Anyway 3 months later they turned up. Seems they have all the hardware internally for RGBW. All they do is not populate a header pin and of course the software. Basically all one needs to do is install a header pin and this software and you can drive RGBW LEDS strips.

@robbiet480

Having some issues with discovery and maybe you can shed some light. Seems that if HA has discovered a controller and that controller drops off and comes back again, it just appends the name of the controller with an A, B etc after the name. Only a reset of HA clears them all. Also it seems the name in HomeBridge is just the long name the firmware creates rather than the assigned Homebridge Name I give it in customize. Any thoughts?

EDIT: It seems the issue has been documented further up. Anyway I just removed discovery. It seems half baked.

Kman

What kind of LED strip do I need to order with these controllers? And how long strip can it handle?

but inside all the pins are connected?

I have a 5 meters strip and it works fine. I would concentrate on the power supply though

The LC-09 I have doesn’t have the driver transistor for white. The LC-03 I just got does have it installed. All four transistors (RGBW) are in place, just not the socket to expose the pin externally to the plastic case. They could be a pain to find though I must admit.

EDIT: I just soldered directly into the controller and got rid of the header.

ahh well, for a couple of bucks difference not worth it, IMO

i have this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-5M-3528-RGB-300-LED-Strip-light-44-Key-Remote-12V-Supply-Power-US-/332154002278?hash=item4d55ebdb66:g:PiQAAOSwzqFY~q~D
and this controler http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-WIFI-Controller-for-LED-Strip-3Channels-Timer-Mode-music-IOS-Android-app-/282487278513?hash=item41c58dcbb1:g:zHsAAOSwaEhZGmaw but any wifi control that uses the magichome app will work , but i think you can use this lights without the custom firmware first just take a look at this https://home-assistant.io/components/light.flux_led/ i didn’t know this and it took me 2 weeks figure out bay the way im new to this but hope it can help

1 Like

Hi everyone, firstly thanks to all of you because i hate the original Firmware wich is shit :confused: Secondly i’m only 14 yo and French so my english is not perfect :slight_smile: I came here to ask you a question because i have a problem while flashing the new firmware. I use the one FTDI method with the little “connectors” at the back of the LC-XX. But when i try to upload via Arduino software it says ;

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

I know that i’m not the only one who had this problem, but inverting the RX TX didn’t help, here is how i connect the FTDI to Arilux :

• RX FTDI → RX “pad” from Arilux
  • TX FTDI → TX “pad” from Arilux
  • GND FTDI → 1st GND “pad” from Arilux
  • GND FTDI → 2nd GND “pad” from Arilux

Here is a picture of how i do it :

I can solder wire, but i can’t try the other method because it need 2 FTDI, i only have one.