Anyone used Home Assistant as a feed to MQTT Broker?

I have been getting Home Assistant up and running for the last 6 months and despite having double the memory and high speed SSD storage and 10x cpu it uses - I have been overwhelming it.

So after 3 rebuilds and pairing hundreds of zigbee devices many many times trying something new.

To avoid ‘operator error’ building a completely vanilla/default Home Assistant on Home Assistant green using an SMLight POE Ethernet coordinator (avoid USB/power issues)

And all it will do is zigbee2MQTT with supporting Mosquito Broker both from the Home Assistant Add ons.

Oh had to install the Official Add On File editor so I could configure zigbee2MQTT.

I have ordered a new smlight coordinator to ensure nothing messes with it.

Then pair in all the Router zigbee devices then the endpoints.

Hopefully this will be a stable install.

I have a Home Assistant running in a vm and will use that for zwave - feeding a built in MQTT broker. I have striped everything out of this install except for zwave JS and the current, failing zigbee2MQTT which I will shutdown as soon as I bring up the new one.

Run up a Node Red on a Docker then link in the MQTT Brokers and I have a command and control setup over everything.

For third party integrations I can use an old Homey and a few spare Habitat’s all of which can be configured to feed one of the MQTT Brokers. This way I can spread out the loading between multiple hubs using the best/most reliable integration to all the third party systems in the house.

And here is the question, if I use a Home Assistant integration is there a way to have all the attached devices store state and control in an MQTT Broker to keep the loading low on the Home Assistant ?

This is not normal. Unless you are running Plex and Kodi and Frigate with multiple cameras doing trans-coding and AI work, HA can tun ‘OK’ on a raspi3. So you likely had some integrations mis-behaving or something there.

That is what I think too.

So creating a basic, focused Home Assistant, to run just zigbee2MQTT on Home Assistant hardware to reduce any outside influences.

Let’s see if I can get that solid.

Run another Home Assistant on a vm that runs zwave js with a SL 800 controller and feeds Mqtt.

I’ll draw up a list of everything I want integrated into a centralised home automation.

I have a spare Homey, and three Hubitats where I can test, then deploy integrations to bring these into a common Mqtt broker. If the integration is problematic, move it to another hub writing to the same Mqtt broker.

With Node Red doing all the automations, I can keep everything running while maintaining best integrations on the best platform for that integration.

It looks like there are a couple of options for Home Assistant device entity replication into an Mqtt broker.

Currently both the iOt lan and the m1 Mac mini that runs Home Assistant sit on a 20kWh uninterruptable psu, so can add the Home Assistant green for zigbee2MQTT on that and a docker for a centralised Mqtt, and another docker for Node Red and it will be a pretty solid system.

Avoiding Home Assistant integrations that adversely impact the core zigbee functionality.