Anyway to add binary files and pkgs to hass.io?

Even though my driver is working ok on the DebianOS, in the spirit of containers providing all the dependencies for an application, wouldnt you think this driver should be part of the HassIO container? After all its only Home Assistant that needs it in order to run the zwave hub in my Windows 10 Hyper-V Guest.

If I wanted to do that, is there even a way to do so short of creating a fork in Git and rebuilding HassIO?

No. It’s not a hassio problem. It’s a Hyper-V problem. It doesn’t actually support USB pass through. Hyper-V isn’t really recommended at all.

Well first of all, home assistant docker images are based on Alpine Linux. Does this driver exist for Alpine Linux? What about the package required?

Secondly, you can just do your own docker build. You don’t have to fork anything or use git at all. Just build your own docker image FROM home assistant, and include a script that installs what you need, assuming it works on Alpine Linux

Youre right Hyper-V is a level 1 hypervisor and wont pass hardware ports like level 2 hypervisors can.

So I use the VirtualHere driver to get around that by using UsbIP that is distributed with Debian to use USB over IP. It seems to work great for me. I can even access USB ports on remote computers too.

Awesome idea. But I think Ill stick with whats working now unless I ever wanted to distribute a copy of my system.

My only problem now is trying to figure out an easy way to run my driver at Debian startup. Everything Ive read so far seems pretty complicated.

I figured how to add a systemd service to launch my VirtualHere UsbIP Client at system startup and it seems to work really well.

Hi,

Got everything running great, thanks again. I got dockerized along the way too. :slight_smile:

I’m starting to use a command-line platform switch. Command Line - Home Assistant.

One thing that is bugging me though… I assume the commands run inside the hassio container, which I believe you said was running on a version of the AlpineOS. If this is true, I don’t understand why the hassio container doesnt provide a terminal that can be accessed via html (or ssh) ? With that I could test my switch commands amongst other terminal type stuff.

I know I can use the developer panel to test the switch, but still ?..

Yes.

Because it’s not necessary?

You have Docker at your disposal. You have access directly to the container if you want.

You mean via the Docker ‘exec’ command line option? If not how?

Yes.

Or you could install Portainer and use a web GUI, AND get into the console from there.