Aqara Motion Sensor Hack for 5 sec

Oh, I have that - still gives ghost after about 90seconds - like others also have reported.

guys, the automation below, does it need to be sticky? in the automations? or can it be turned off , once its configured to 5sec?

i am not sure on a deconz reboot , if the duration goes back to 90 ?

edit; tried the pencil hack, omg quite easy :slight_smile: done 2 in 5 min time, with a 2b / 4b pencil

Yes, it does, so you need to set re-set it after a deCONZ reboot.

I have an HA automation that runs when HA starts up, which collects all defined motion sensors in HA (which are all Aqara in my case) and sets the duration for each:

# automations.yaml
- alias: 'Configureer Aqara motion sensors'
  variables:
    sensors: '{{ states.binary_sensor | selectattr("attributes.device_class", "==", "motion") | map(attribute = "entity_id") | list }}'
  trigger:
    platform: homeassistant
    event: start
  action:
    service: script.deconz_configure_sensors
    data:
      sensors: '{{ sensors }}'
      data:
        duration: 5

# scripts.yaml
deconz_configure_sensors:
  mode: single
  sequence:
    repeat:
      count: '{{ sensors | length }}'
      sequence:
        service: deconz.configure
        data:
          entity: '{{ sensors[repeat.index - 1] }}'
          field: '/config'
          data: '{{ data }}'
4 Likes

glad I see this, since I am awaiting the mailman with some new Aqara sensors (vibration) which will be the first couple of sensors in my Conbee II.

please let me ask, why you want to up the sensor reporting time. doesn’t this deplete the battery much faster, and is it necessary for the sensor to pick up motion? Doesn’t it simply report motion if and when this happens?

the automation is elegant enough to use in other places btw, thanks for that.

no, no impact on battery it seems
i want to sensor hack for my toilet rooms
normally sensor is pickin up again after 90 sec i believe, so when you enter the room, you need to leave the light on longer then 90 sec , so 120 for example
and to leave the light longer on, you need to move in the last 30 seconds
thats now not needed anymore

An unhacked sensor will report motion, and then stay quiet for 60 seconds: it won’t report any new motion happening within that 60-second time frame. If you control lights with the sensor, you need to keep those lights turned on for at least 60 seconds, otherwise the lights may turn off until the 60 seconds are over and the sensor will trigger on motion again. I prefer this “blind time” to be as short as possible, which gives the most flexibility.

I’m running all my sensors “hacked”, also in high traffic parts of my home (office, kitchen, living room), and the batteries have lasted for 18 months and counting now (the only sensor that I needed to swap out the battery for is located outside, so subject to hot and cold weather; it’s also about 12 meters from the closest router device).

are you sure about the 60 sec? i thought it was 90? thought also that default duration was setup to 90 in deconz?

thanks. Deconz found it, and created 2 entities in the states:

how would I best continue getting these from my Mqtt/Deconz system to my main production system? Using mqtt state_streams now, but it is not obvious to have the same entity with its attributes transported there, and I need to create mqtt sensors for all attributes separately?

Correct, deCONZ uses 90 seconds by default, but from what I know the sensor itself only has a blind time of 60 seconds.

1 Like

I have no experience with such a setup, I just use the deCONZ integration of HA to pull in all my Zigbee devices :sweat_smile:

ok thanks, I thought you wrote you had a dedicated deCONZ instance, so figured yet transit these into another system to use them. never mind, ill figure that out :wink:

on the Aqara vibration sensor: temp is utterly useless as it remains 23C permanently :wink: I wish. Would anyone of you here have a mapper for the tiltangle and orientation numbers? I tried to understand the reasoning but failed this far …

secondly, though I can see the sensor in the deCONZ interface, there’s no way of manipulating the configuration other than the name. Do we really need yet another integration to do so?

temp is indeed useless, its complely wrong, dont use it…
in my case, it should be 33 degree inside! believe me, its not :slight_smile:

seems the 23 is a battery percentage in ZHA:

trying to find the coordinates in the ZHA integration, they’re not even there, and have 2 unavailable sensors. This product is not all that reliable , either way

ah, mine is always 100 % , it seems always 100% for xiaomi, untill its actually low, then it should drop i last days

I only use the state of the vibration sensor myself, which seems to work fine for me (I use it in an outside letter box to detect if it’s being opened).

yeah, i had it too in my letter box, but walls with isolation and letterbox was aluminium
so it was not always detected :frowning: , a red bar in deconz, thats a nogo :frowning:

I see.
Considering the fact most info was incorrect on these sensors, I returned them. No use for data we can not rely on, and devices pretending to be offering data, while in fact they are mostly inaccurate have no place in a serious home controlling setup imho. I fear the Aqara line of ‘cheap little gems’ won’t do…

They do for me :smiley:

Regarding the vibration sensor: when I was setting it up it seemed to work okay, I could see the tilt angles change to reasonable values when I flipped/switched the sensor. But in the end, the state value (which, afaik, means “vibration detected”) worked just fine. I did play a bit with the sensitivity setting of the sensor.

HI All,

I need a little help, I am a noob in soldering, and I might ruined my aqara motion. (i know its not expensive, but I wanna learn what mistake I made.) I did connect the pins as it discribed, but now the button is dead. If I remove the battery and add it again, it flashes 3 times, than dead again.

Thanks for any help in advance

That’s seems ok, doesn’t register it motion in deconz?