Aqara new people presence sensor FP2

Reed from Smart Home Solver made a great video of the FP2 here: https://youtu.be/yarollsdao4

Wished I had the funds to purchase it… Cost SG$159 (roughly USD120) here in Singapore. Need to settle my home restoration first, it caught fire February 1st 2023 :disappointed_relieved:

For those in Singapore that wants to purchase : https://shope.ee/5pcCR5mUL8

UPDATE 10 Jan 2024: China version is now in stock!! (SG$106) →
Link 1: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_Dk7RWM9
Link 2: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DC9x4fL

2 Likes

According to Reeds video, if you use the HomeKit controller you can’t access the zones feature.

Wow that price is insane! Sorry to hear such terrible news about your home :cry:

1 Like

Its actually pretty good. My only issue with it is that I can’t have it in the Aqara Home app and Home Assistant at the same time.

On iOS you add it to the aqara app which then forces you to add it to the Home app. I think if you have an android you won’t run into this as it doesn’t have the Home app. The issue is that, to add it to HA I have to remove it from the Home app (which removes it from the Aqara app) so it is in a state where it still has the wifi network details but not the Homekit association.

The problem is, anytime I want to modify the zones or anything to configure it, I have to remove it from HA, add back to the Aqara app and then make any changes, remove it from the Aqara app and add it to back to HA. A big pain.

If anybody else knows how to get around this please share.

I’m trying to find my android tablet to see if I can get around this requirement.

3 Likes

Thank for the Info. I’m so looking forward to receiving these, the video links makes this thing look amazing.

someone commented on reeds video this:

1 hour ago

To add the FP2 to Home Assistant you need to do the following steps:

1. Add the FP2 to HomeKit through the Aqara App.
  2. Setup your motion zones in the Aqara App.
  3. Remove any of the FP2 sensors from within the Apple Home app. Removing one will remove all of them.
  4. It should discover the FP2 within HomeAssistant using the HomeKit Controller integration, and you just need to enter the Apple HomeKit device code found on the FP2.
    It will automatically sync the zones you previously created, and any future changes in the Aqara app for zones will propagate to Home Assistant.

I don’t use homekit at all so not sure if this will work for me.

22 Likes

Bam that did it. Awesome thank you.

Now i have it in HA and in the Aqara app. If I add a zone in aqara app it instantly shows up as a HA sensor.

5 Likes

wow thats awesome. i’m buying one today then. do we need to use homekit?

Anyone tested if the sensor still works if internet connection is blocked? It should work, i know. but if anyone could actually test it i would appreciate it.

1 Like

Hi,
so, does this mean that you need to own an apple device? I’d really want to use these, but we don’t have any iOS devices, and I wouldn’t like to buy it without being sure, that we can integrate it into HA even without an iOS. Could anyone please confirm, if it is doable without an apple device? (+ it seems to be out of stock right now anyways :frowning: )

1 Like

No Apple/iOs device required. Fine with HA and Homekit plugin. New stocks an the way I understand.

1 Like

Hi,

Did someone test it with HA SkyConnect?

Has anyone found a way to get the number of people in a room? This would be awesome for automations to detect when you have guests over

Yes and No. I blocked the internet from one of my test devices and from my quick tests I found the following:

• Local reporting still worked. So in HA I was still getting notifications of sensor updates. This is probably because homekit works locally.
  • The aqara app that you need to configure it does not seem to function. I can’t edit the zones or even do a firmware update. It complains about the communication with the device. So that seems to go through their cloud.

So it looks like once you configure it you can cut it off, but anytime you need to make a change you need to get it back online.

6 Likes

FP2 already sold out on Amazon! I’m glad my order just shipped! I wonder how many Amazon had.

When you removed the FP2 from the Home app (leaving it in the Aqara app) did it immediately appear in the HA Homekit Controller integration? For some reason I keep getting the no unpaired devices found message even though the FP2 is still connected to the network and to the Aqara app.

Yup. It picked it up almost instantly and auto discovered it.

2 Likes

The new Aqara FP2 uses WiFi, not Zigbee or Thread. Thus, the SkyConnect is not applicable.

1 Like

This is what I call “The Harmony Model.” The Logitech Harmony hub works like that. It’s fine with no internet connection as long as you never need to change anything on it. I don’t like that, but I’m willing to put up with it depending on the functionality. In the case of the Harmony I’m actively waiting for a new device to finally ship that is local only.

For the FP2 (as long as it works as advertised), I’ll accept this to get rid of my Room Assistant bluetooth setup (that thing is only slightly better than having a random number generator determine room occupancy). But I’d much rather have something that is 100% local.

Thank you! About what i expected. Good enough for me.