Aqara TVOC sensor reports too often (Zigbee2MQTT)

I have 3 of these Aqara TVOC sensors. 2 of 3 of these are reporting is way too often.

These are not supposed to report unless the change is significant enough and most are complaining that they’re reporting too infrequently. My issue is quite the opposite:

MQTT updates for Aqara TVOC in Living room:

Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-05-06 10:32:20: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Aqara Living room', payload '{"battery":100,"device_temperature":21,"display_unit":"ppb_celsius","humidity":60.2,"linkquality":229,"power_outage_count":33,"temperature":22.1,"update":{"installed_version":-1,"latest_version":-1,"state":null},"update_available":null,"voc":33,"voltage":3010}'
Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-05-06 10:32:30: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Aqara Living room', payload '{"battery":100,"device_temperature":21,"display_unit":"ppb_celsius","humidity":59.1,"linkquality":225,"power_outage_count":33,"temperature":22.1,"update":{"installed_version":-1,"latest_version":-1,"state":null},"update_available":null,"voc":33,"voltage":3010}'
Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-05-06 10:35:00: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Aqara Living room', payload '{"battery":100,"device_temperature":21,"display_unit":"ppb_celsius","humidity":60.3,"linkquality":225,"power_outage_count":33,"temperature":22.1,"update":{"installed_version":-1,"latest_version":-1,"state":null},"update_available":null,"voc":33,"voltage":3010}'
Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-05-06 10:35:10: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Aqara Living room', payload '{"battery":100,"device_temperature":21,"display_unit":"ppb_celsius","humidity":58.7,"linkquality":225,"power_outage_count":33,"temperature":22.1,"update":{"installed_version":-1,"latest_version":-1,"state":null},"update_available":null,"voc":33,"voltage":3010}'
Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-05-06 10:35:20: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Aqara Living room', payload '{"battery":100,"device_temperature":21,"display_unit":"ppb_celsius","humidity":59.9,"linkquality":222,"power_outage_count":33,"temperature":22.1,"update":{"installed_version":-1,"latest_version":-1,"state":null},"update_available":null,"voc":33,"voltage":3010}'
Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-05-06 10:35:40: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/Aqara Living room', payload '{"battery":100,"device_temperature":21,"display_unit":"ppb_celsius","humidity":58.8,"linkquality":225,"power_outage_count":33,"temperature":22.1,"update":{"installed_version":-1,"latest_version":-1,"state":null},"update_available":null,"voc":33,"voltage":3010}'

In this example, the humidity is fluctuating all over the place.

This results in these graphs in Home Assistant:

HA living room humidity graph

and in Grafana:

Zigbee2MQTT Reporting:

Zigbee2MQTT Settings (Specific):

Note: 1 of 3 Aqara TVOC devices that does not spam reports:

1 of 3 the Aqara TVOC devices has no Reporting set in Zigbee2MQTT. I don’t understand why/how, I did not delete it. It does not have the usual/normal 3 lines for (Humidity, Temperature, GenAnalogInput as shown 2 screenshots above.

BUT this is the only 1 of 3 Aqara sensors that is reporting the humidity correctly (that is why I think the reporting frequency is set too high for the others?)

Bedroom Zigbee2MQTT reporting tab empty:

Bedroom MQTT message / Grafana graph clean:
HA Bedroom humidity graph

About my setup:

• Tubeszb’s cc2652p2-ethusb coordinator
  • Mosquitto → Zigbee2MQTT → danrue-ser2net1 running in Docker on Synology NAS
  • Home Assistant 2023.5.2
    Supervisor 2023.04.1
    Operating System 10.1
    Frontend 20230503.3 - latest

I have tried:

• Changing ‘Min rep interval’ in Zigbee2MQTT from 10 seconds to 60 → always got a failed error message
  • Reconfiguring the Aqara TVOC devices via Zigbee2MQTT → always got a failed error message
  • Restarting / repairing the Aqara TVOC devices, restarting cc2652p2 coordinator, moquitto, Zigbee2MQTT and the entire system
  • Removing the Aqara TVOC devices via Zigbee2MQTT → always got a failed error message
  • Taking battery out of the Aqara TVOC devices for 10+ minutes and then trying to connect again
  • Searching the internet for possible solutions for 2 weeks

Nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

I have no suggestion but can confirm the issue. Of my seven “airmonitors” four report at a very coarse schedule, one at a very fine one with much noise and two at intermediate schedules.
I used the same devices with Nymea instead of HA for a while. There, most of the devices stopped reporting any humidity values sometimes after a few days’ operation, sometimes right after the first report after the device had connected to the network. Even the temperature readings were somewhat spotty, and the individual devices behaved quite differently. This behaviour reimained that way even after updating all to the same firmware version.

Which sensors do you have? @popch

Rectangular thingy with an eInk display showing temperature, humidity and optionally air quality.
It says on the back of the device Aqara; TVOC Air Quality Monitor; Model AAQS-S01. HA calls it a lumi.airmonitor.acn01

Ok, then you have the same ones I have.

Here is what I have found in the meantime:

I mentioned that in Zigbee2MQTT Reporting shows zero entry for 1 of 3 Aqara sensors and that one is actually working/updating fine, not doing anything crazy.

I reset the other 2 Aqara sensors a few times (press and hold the button on top for 6-7 seconds, longer than required just to be sure) until those remaining two also had zero entries in the Z2M Reporting tab:

It’s only been 1.5 hour and time will tell but I can confirm that since the Reporting tab has been empty, all 3 are updating correctly, per expectable, normal schedule. Fingers crossed it stays this way!