Aqara zigbee - stay away from these devices - battery life <6months

Sometimes it’s the batteries they came with. They can sit at zero for a long time. Just make sure you
have last seen and online/offline enabled and you will know if it is really dead.

1 Like

Be aware z2m recently changed battery percentage calculation in 1.27. The reported percentage is significantly lower now.

1 Like

Motion sensors all through the house still on original batteries more than 3 years - and still more than 30% left. Best battery life of anything I have seen.

The temperature/humidity sensors last way shorter - about 12-15 months.

Just noticing a drain in my Aqara sensors when paired via ZHA and Sonoff Zigbee stick . I see on above posts much longer battery life, is that because they are paired to Aqara hub?

I use deconz, battery life for aquara door/windows sensors seems to be forever (well I’ve changed non in about 3 years). Climate sensors about 18 - 24 months.

Sonoff ZBDongle-P with both ZHA and z2m. I have at least one of most of the aqara sensors. Oldest are now 1 yr+ with no sign of needing change anytime soon. Newer units all seem to be on the same curve.

Actually, I did have one of the newer door sensors that would drain the battery in a matter of days. As one out of 30+ units, I considered it an anomaly, but guess it could be more common than I assume. It remained functional all the way down to 2.3v.

1 Like

i have like 20 aqara, they seem to last forever indeed
only 1 temp sensor eats batteries, no idea why

Interesting that one was battery devouring.

I have a bunch of new Aqara devices and set up the first Temperature sensor right beside the hub.

In HA, It started at ~80% for a few hours then jumped to 100%. Over a day it’s dropped to 91% and now it reads 88%. Could this be a bad or weird reading? Or could I have a battery devourer on my hands?

When I get time to set up some of the other sensors I guess I’ll know more and can compare.

I have the same problem. Do you have a solution now?

I just bought aquara temp sensor, run it for 2 days and battery look like this

With this rate it will be dead in a week. Door sensor is on 100% for the same time frame.

Could it be faulty piece? Or is it common with this sensor?

1 Like

I have a temp sensor that went from 100% to 48% in around a week, since then (maybe a month on) and it’s still at 48%. Think it may be the batteries they come with. Others have discharged more evenly, All still last a long time.

Thanks. I’ll see in next couple of days.

Note that this is not limited to Aqara devices. I had a Hue dimmer switch that worked flawlessly for 12 months… then something changed (perhaps a Deconz update? A reboot? not sure…) and it started eating batteries – about 20% a day.

Replaced it with a new one… and it works fine (shrug).

You replaced the whole switch?

It seems, this is also my case. Drop has stopped after a week at approx 50%.

Are you using the Aqara hub or ZHA? What is acting as the routers for the sensors? I have noticed a big difference switching from sonoff to thirdreality. Sonoff seems to drain the battery.

Has anyone figured out what is going on with these sensors that are draining so quickly? I have one of the zigbee temp sensors connected via ZHA and it dropped 20% in one day!

1 Like

I also thought my battery was draining, but then when looking at the history, it shows it leveling off after a few weeks (and oddly even going up at times). Hopefully your battery didn’t continue to drain

I see that quite a bit too. Is the battery cell dropping voltage initially but then levelling out for most of the rest of its life? What’s the science behind what’s happening here?

I think it’s temperature and the way the battery percentage is calculated.