Are Raspberry Pi CM4 off Aliexpress legit?

I’m probably not alone in this: I bought a Yellow Kit because I wanted a more powerful CM4 inside. Said kit sits now on the shelf for months collecting dust while I’m unable to purchase a CM4. I’m watching rpilocactor like a hawk but the only availability in the past months was on the wrong side of the pond (US).
The only places where I can find CM4s ist on ebay (250% price) or Aliexpress (150% price). I’m desperare (impatient) enough to try the Aliexpress ones. However past experience on aliexpress makes me wary of fake products that may even fry the Yellow board.
Has someone already purchased RPis off Aliexpress? Are there trusted shops?

I have no experience buying RPI clones from ali express, but if you wac anit for a bit longer you will be able to buy cm4s for the regular price again from trusted sellers. RPi Foundation announced that most of their products will be available again in Q2 2023 at pre pandemic stocks. An at nearly infinite supply in Q3 2023.

Source: https://www.reviewgeek.com/139144/heres-when-raspberry-pis-will-be-back-in-stock/

2 Likes

If you buy them from Ali. I would suggest paying with PayPal. If the product is not ok and Ali won’t help. You can open a ticket. And if they don’t respond(my xp with ali) you automatically get a refund.

I’m in the same boat. I bought a POE Yellow kit that came without a CM4 (no option to buy one with the POE version). It is now already on the shelf for half a year and likely for another half year if i have to believe the suppliers here. They are completely sold out and an ETA is Dec 23!!! it would have been great if the guys from HA had offered an option to buy a CM4 with the POE kit as the Raspberry Pi management confirmed they have prioritized delivery to partners! One big mess.

As far as I’m concerned most Raspberry Pi(and home assistant yellow itself) is made in China so yes, in this case AliExpress is legit source.
If you wish, you may PM me, I can send you the listing I purchased my CM4 from.