Ariela - Home Assistant Android Client

Sorry, didn’t had the chance to finish that feature. Its really hard to implement it and tune it without proper hardware.

You mean a script or something to check if Ariela still communicating with HA server?

If you remove the integrations from HA and remove Ariela from your phone, that could do the trick.

i removed the integration and the app from my phone but it persists

Not sure what to say. Possible a HA bug

figured it out. it was still in knowndevices.yaml after deleting it from there it has disappeared. Thanks for the amazing app. Ill be back for sure if you ever get the RTT figured out.

How the app checks, I’ll leave to you, but the ability for the App to trigger an alarm (visual/audible/repeating should be configurable) to alert the user there is a problem with the server. A configurable time and perhaps look for the

My Pi decided to crash and I didn’t realise for quite a while…

that cant be concluded.

you cant make out the difference why the phone cant reach HA.

• no network
  • broken network
  • HA down
  • unexpected phone state (dont know how to explain it in other words)

all result in the same thing: the phone cant reach HA.

but i like the watchdog option anyway. but more that my phone tells me it cant reach HA.
my phone is often with a broken network state and then my HA doesnt know where it is and the sensors dont update.
when my phone gives me a signal i can reconnect it.

1 Like

Yes agreed, but I am reasonably confident that, if my phone is on my Home network for instance, that the App should expect to be able to connect. I also run the App on a wall tablet and that really should be always able to connect. If something is wrong with the network that will have an impact on my home automation so I’d like to know ASAP.

i understand.
when i am on my home network with my phone i dont need that, because then i see it on my dashboards immediatly.

How do you do that? My HADashboard simply stops updating values. No obvious indication the backend has stopped.

just a simple javascript in the skin and a heartbeat sensor in an app.
heartbeat sensor gives the time once a minute, the skin checks the time versus the heartbeat sensor every minute.
that gives the option to trigger anything.
but the heartbeat sensor on its own is visible enough for me, because i havent had HA/AD stop in 4 years.
all that sometimes happens is that errors make it slow down or automations break or devices lose connection. which makes me restart HA and/or AD.
but for that i got checks that alexa tells me about.

Care to share a bit more detail (perhaps a separate thread as it is OT)?

It isn’t actually HA/AD I don’t think but an issue with the current Raspbian (my underlying OS) and SSDs. It was worse with DietPi.

Hi @Ionut,

I recently set up duckdns so that I use https for accessing my Home Assistant.
But when I head to https://192.168.x.x and copies the certificate as hass.cer (both DER / BASE-64 encoded) onto my the path the Ariela app asks me to - it simply doesn’t show up.

If I browse manually to that library I see the files…

What am I doing wrong?

[u]EDIT: [u] I don’t know why, but suddenly without the cert and by clearing the cache of the program it works.

Thanks.

Hi Ionut,

Any chance to have device tracker information sent over mqtt?

Thanks much

Glad to hear that :smiley:

Yes, i will add that option in the future.

1 Like

You don’t want an app constantly running in the background checking for the server state, there was already issues with Ariela draining the battery due to features that constantly try to reconnect to the server, track devices, etc.

It could be down for several reasons, mainly it either crashed or network issues (IP changed and hasn’t been updated in the DNS, your home connection went down, your mobile connection went down, etc).

Either way I recommend Uptime Robot, it’s a third party service that can check if the server is up with different approaches, it has a nice dashboard, it will check as often as you want, it can send email notifications and it’s free (with limitations). Since it’s a third party service independent from your infrastructure you can rely on the results of it unless you want to have something on premises checking for internal and external availability of your instance.

It will keep a nice log with the errors, how long it was out, etc.

Few of the approaches it has to monitor server up time are:

• Look for a Keyword on page which is useful since sometimes the server kinda hangs but still responds to ping requests.

• Checking for open port

• Ping

• Heartbeat, where the server which you want to monitor needs to send regular request to an specific URL hosted by Uptime Robot. If the request doesn’t arrive on time the monitor marks it as down).

Works like a charm to me.

They also have a web API in which you can retrieve the monitor statuses:

If you wanna go the extra mile you can use this web API to restart your HomeAssistant if the monitor marks your server as down. Since my HomeAssistant just hangs every other week, I have it connected to a smart plug so I just switch it off and on (manually from the app) when it remains down for a while. Sometimes it is unresponsive during very early hours as it is doing backups and other stuff which makes it very slow. Needless to say, every time I just cut the power off and on to my RPi I am always crossing my fingers that it doesn’t fry or corrupt the microSD.

In case you want your own self-hosted solution there’s plenty of solutions (commercial, open source, even scripts) out there that can monitor a website/service and do something based on the results like running a scripts, sending notifications, etc but it is more stuff that you need maintain and host in a separate machine, because if you put everything in the same host and it fails, then what’s the point of the monitor?

Well it does that to an extent anyway as it sends battery status.

Well as it is internal only mobile is irrelevant and yes I know all that and I’m comfortable with the use case stated i.e. it is for a wall panel or a device connected via the local network.

Irrelevant for this use case internal network is the requirement.

Yes I could setup an MQTT broker on a second machine and send a heartbeat from HA (or the Node-RED addon) to the secondary MQTT Broker and then read that and generate a Telegram message to my devices, but if there was something that was built-in to the App that would be pretty smart.

1 Like

Hey. Android TV box, I can not start TTS. Everything worked on the tablet. It is also necessary on box.

@Ionut
For about 1 week Ariela stopped loading my lovelace webui configuration. It loads on the native apk only.
I sent an email with logs to the stipulated email address on the app.

For some reason my default native android views don’t work. Ony web ui.

Please enable debug mode and use contact option to send me the logs. Thank you