Ariela - Home Assistant Android Client

Not a chance :)) Google will ban the app eventually.

Well in the best world, all those functions will be in one app, i do not like to have multiple apps doing same job. But if no other solution then i suppose this is what i am going to do.

Notifications are build in Ariela, there is no need for a separate app :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello all,

Version 1.2.5.8 is out.
What’s new

• added Bluetooth MQTT sensor

Small Bluetooth MQTT sensor documentation can be found here: http://ariela.surodev.com/2019/01/08/bluetooth/
Please test it and let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Can also build a SMS gateway for HA with an A6/A7 module that would also allow communication between the two - sending notifications from HA to phone without relying on a separate phone app (or even without direct link between HA and phone) and commands from phone to HA (such as the ones preceded by a three letters code like OPE or POE so that the enemy cannot plant false transmission :wink: )

That will mean that user will have to buy a GSM module :frowning: It’s much easier if users can use already that they have :smiley:

Also, i was thinking: Ariela can provide an API for third party apps. What do you think if i open source the SDK and in this way other people can create extensions and functionality for Ariela(like SMS sender)
Of course all those extensions will have to be installed by user manually and also updated, but at least Ariela can provide a list with the available extensions? What do you think about this?

The SMS gateway connected to local HA instance would allow communication to and from HA even if no internet is available (also sending SMS commands to HA). Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Yep, you are correct. Do not worry about hijacking, any place is as good as other to share ideas :slight_smile:

Do you in your long terms plans intend to be able to use other MQTT devices with this app? By this I mean sensors or switches that directly post their information into MQTT, not only those originating from Ariela or HomeAssistant.

Then Ariela could be used as a general front end app for MQTT devices, control and displaying status, also allowing it potentially to include other devices from other hubs or software that supports MQTT.

(I realise I could always integrate them into HA first and then they would appear by default)

K

I will look into this, thank you for the suggestion.

I’m sorry.

I added the HANotify and I was just wonderring - like I do with some other custom components I was looking for some information whether I should add this to my card tracker in my lovelace ui, so I can make sure I always update this to the latest version?

Does it make sense now?

My device tracker is not updating in home assistant. Says I am at home in home assistant when I am 100% away at work. Home assistant did show it at my work zone for about half a second but currently thinks I’m still at home.

I have tried restarting home assistant, restarting my phone, turning on different update intervals, gps and wifi detection. Still cant get it to update to my work zone.

Thank you for explanation, I will look into it.

Please enable the debug mode and send me the logs so i can investigate. Thank you.
Also what you can try is : disable device tracker in Ariela and stop your HA server. After that open known_devices.yaml and delete your device, save the modifications, start the server. Open Ariela and enable device tracker and check if works.

1 Like

Thank you @Ionut
Just bought the Pro version: as others have said the apps look really promising and you are clearly interested in improving it: kudos to you!

I’d like to add some comments: I’ve skimmed through the whole post and I hope I’m not suggesting something already brought to your attention.

• If i keep the mqtt topic to “homeassistant” and I copy-paste the sensor yaml code suggested by Ariela into my configuration, I end up with two sensors: the autodiscovery one and the “manual” one. Is this supposed behaviour? If I want to only handle the “manual” version, should I just change the topic, and then define it via code? This is because I’d like to override the icon_template attributes and show if it’s charging or not using the appropriate mdi (i.e. if “(battery_value / 10 | round * 10) = 50” and not charging by using mdi:battery-50 or by using mdi:battery-50-charging if instead it’s connected to the power source)

• At first I had some issues with device_tracker, because I was using nmap+zanzitto: to solve this I had to set the device_name in Ariela as the one defined for zanzitto and restart home assistant: maybe this info can help other users who weren’t able to get their device tracked with Ariela. I will monitor battery usage, and report back to you. Have you also considered implementing an owntracks emulation, like zanzitto does?

• I’m using Lovelace UI, and I found some really great custom cards and components. It seems that for the moment some of them are not supported, like the ones made by @thomasloven (https://github.com/thomasloven) (for example slider-entity-row or fold-entity-row) or the custom swiper card made by @Bram_Kragten (Lovelace: Swiper card)

• Does Ariela support camera streams? I’m using picture-glance cards for my rooms, but the camera entity isn’t shown in the picture-glance element list so I cannot click it and watch it.
    _edit: the pictures of the picture-glance card are static, not the feed from the camera, and I switch them based on the status of the lights in the room.

• Have you considered integrating the app into Tasker as a plugin, so we can leverage this functionality to fire events to HomeAssistant via Ariela?

Thanks again for your app!

Yes, if you duplicate what is already discovered, it will appear twice. This is not limited to this topic, it applies to all of HA.

Please enable the debug mode and send me the logs so i can investigate. Thank you.
Also what you can try is : disable device tracker in Ariela and stop your HA server. After that open known_devices.yaml and delete your device, save the modifications, start the server. Open Ariela and enable device tracker and check if works.

Deleted from tracker while tracking was turned off and reset home assistant. I’ll let you know tomorrow when Im at work if it updates correctly. I bought the app, thanks for your support.

@Ionut I added the bluetooth sensor, but I only see [object] values:

Not thinked about this until now, i will and it to my TODO list. Thank you for the suggestion.

I will add this implementation to my TODO list.

I will look into it. Can you share the configuration of the card via PM? Thanks.

Not really sure what you actually mean, can you please explain a bit more? Thank you, and i am glad you like the application :smiley:

That is fine, those objects are actually JSON objects. If you want to do some automations you will have to parse those. More informations you can find here about the bluetooth sensor: Bluetooth – Ariela
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@Ionut
I just switched from using Zanzito to Ariela because it’s fast development and the future of this app looks great. But i have two problems with this app.

Problem No.1 Device Tracker
I started using Ariela device tracker but for some reason it updates my location every 5 minutes even if i set it to update every 1 minute or 50 meters. The same is on my girlfriend’s phone.

Problem No.2 Firebase Notifications
I enabled HANotify in my Hassio and it works fine but i can’t enable it in Ariela. When I try I get the message “Failed to enable Firebase notifications on this device”

It would be great if Ariela had some features of Zanzito (viewing Mqtt logs, Remote administrating other devices, High Accuracy Device Tracking, and all settings controlled by mqtt from home assistant so can be used in automations) There are a lot of Zanzito users upset because Zanzito is not developed anymore and they would be happy to swapp to Ariela.
Just like me :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ionut
My device tracker is working after your suggestion! Thanks for your help.

I also came from Zanzito and your updates and constant communication is so refreshing. I’ll be purchasing the app again for my wife.

I am glad to hear that is working.

Thank you very much for the support.

Well, if you have Android O or later you can “blame” the OS for that :stuck_out_tongue:(it do not allow starting things in the background immediatly) Anyway, you can enable the permanent notification which will imply that Ariela will going to have a permanent connection with the HA server meaning that the updates of location, widgets will be instantaneous.

Is the HANotify the custom version created for Ariela correct? You may also wanna check if the service is loaded in the HA and also you can also enable debug mode and send me the logs.

The plan is to make Ariela best Android client for HA. If adding Zanzito features to it means that i will gladly do it.

Can you explain how I can connect to my HA when duckdns is enabled?
Like https://mydomain.duckdns.org?

Thanks.