Ariela - Home Assistant Android Client

If you already configured for your local network then you will have to use “configure external” options.
Else you do the setup again but instead of puttingocal IP adress of the server you can use the duckdns address.
Please let me know if works or if you have any issues.

I was thinking something like using an event from home assistant as an event trigger in Tasker (like a sensor firing or an automation starting for example), or the possibility to instead execute an action on HomeAssistant (launch automation, turn on lights, execute scripts) from an event raised on the phone. I actually could think only of a use case right now: use another Tasker plugin (autonotification) to create some notification shade buttons to control the lights, and use Ariela as a plugin in tasker to actually issue the command. Right now I’m using an mqtt message from Tasker and an automation triggered by the mqtt payload in HA, but I’d love to be able to remove some automations :stuck_out_tongue: (also I don’t like to use http intents very much)

I will share the yaml code via PM, thanks again for your incredible support.

I’m a converted zanzitto user too :wink:

I’d like to add also my personal experience on battery usage from a day of use:

• 11 hours device usage since full charge
  • 37% battery remaining
  • Ariela used for 11h1m with 12% battery usage: I’d say it’s quite good, considered that Google Play Services were at 19% :stuck_out_tongue: and screen was 9% with 2hours usage.
    I have the persistent notification enabled, using device tracker and 2 mqtt sensors.

Today I also received the Pie update for my Mi A1, so tomorrow I will see how this new OS behaves (Ariela is ignoring the battery optimizations though, like Tasker and other apps that I consider critical).

Thanks again for your work! I will spread the word on your app everytime I have the chance!

I have Android P but I don’t think this is because OS limitations. Permanent notification is enabled. Even when Ariela app is open on the screen it still updates my location exactly every 5 minutes (I measured the time). In the meantime Ariela updates my battery sensor so there is communication with Home Assistant. And still location is updated every 5 minutes :frowning:

Thanks I didn’t know it needs custom version of HANotify. It works now. Are there any advantages of using HANotify built in to Ariela, over the standalone HANotify?

Hi, sorry, but seams that only I have problems to connect to my ha server after updating application to not use tokens but user account. Ariela keeps saying that my credentials are not correct. Sadly they are. I already changed password in ha an created new user too, but the same error. Interestingly after failing to log in I cleared app data and reinstalled application and after opening I was in without any setup, sadly the next day I’m back to login screen and can not get past. There is no logs about failed login in ha too.

One question regarding the custom HANotify component: is it possible to modify it to use my existing firebase project by changing the server key in the py file?

P.S. I’m already using notification with action button, but I’m leveraging HTML5 push notifications. I’m always curious about trying new stuff though XD

Hi Ionut,

Any update on gps accuracy?

My home automation were triggered randomly decreasing WAF.

Thank you

Thank you for the explanation. I will see what i can do about that.

Can you enable debug mode and send me the logs please so i can investigate?

Its the same HANotify except is modified to work with Ariela instead on third party app.

Can you enable debug mode and send me the logs? If you cannot enable debug mode please let me know and i will send a debug apk. Also did you tried with the web login? Its the same behaviour?

You can modify it but Ariela notifications will not going to work anymore

Can you please try adding your home wifi networks and let me know if the issue still persist?

Home Wifi Network is already set up.

Moreover GPS accuracy will be useful also for device tracking outside home (for example at work, at station, at grocery).

Actually when GPS signal is low the circle range is very huge and this causes issues with my automations.

Having the same problem also at the moment. Trying to login with my HA login but it just doesn’t work. Even tried with the acces token. Web login doesn’t seem to work ( white screen)

Can you please try with this apk?
Note this has the debug mode already active so it will write the ariela_logfile.log Please send me that file after you try to login(it will be nice if you take logs for both web login and normal login).
Note: Ariela do not need the tokens to be created by the user (it will automatically create a token if you enter the correct user & password).
DEBUG apk: http://surodev.com/ariela/app-ariela-release.apk

Hi, I have a problem!
show me all the rooms (room, kitchens, bathroom, etc …) but do not give me Home! how can i solve!
I’m using the latest Homeassistant on Raspberry - Raspbian.

Please enable debug mode and use the contact function to send me the logs so i can investigate. Thank you.

I’m using this app for a couple of days, and is really amazing… I was a zanzito user, but with Ariela, I don’t need it anymore!. Mqtt sensors are really helpful for doing cool automations.

Thanks @Ionut for this great app!

I have some ideas for make this app even more great:

• Maybe put a password when you try to enter to the app menu (only admin, for users with wife and children using the app).
  • Option to show/hide map access
  • When I change my phone’s orientation, Ariela reload the page (I’m using UI View), It’s kind of annoying :sweat_smile:
  • Add States page to the main menu (I use it a lot for testing).
  • Maybe reload page when you pull down screen (like any webpage on a mobile browser).

Again, thanks for this amazing work! :+1:

I am glad to hear you like the app and its working properly. Regarding your ideas i will add them to my TODO list.

Also version 1.2.5.9 is out.
What’s new:

• added humidity MQTT sensor
  • small connection issue fixes

I am trying the app but sadly I am natted behind a proxy and I can’t connect from the outside directly.
For this I use an external mosquitto server when connecting to HA and I added some rule where I can publish messages and receive them via mqtt.

I don’t see a way for configure Ariela in order to use my external mqtt, am I missing something?
It would be really cool if Ariela has the possibility to subscribe to topics or publish to topics in order to change HA status.

Triple NAT here :slight_smile: and the app works fine.

Ariela uses MQTT defined in HA. If HA can connect to MQTT broker, so does Ariela.

2 Likes

Indeed the Ariela does not have any MQTT possibility to connect to the broker itself. Any communication with the broker is done through Home Assistant. In the future its planned to add support for MQTT without requiring connection to HA.

Please add this as an option, I am happy with the current mqtt implementation in your app - my mqtt broker does not need to exposed in this way.

Ok, I am seriously impressed with this one. Yes it works. I am guessing you get the MQTT server details from the HA server and then use those to send the messages.

I can now plug my phone in overnight, when it gets to a certain charge level turn the phone on and when it reaches another specified level switch off the charger so it does not overcharge.

You should put that feature in the PRO version - I’d pay for it (if I hadn’t already!).

I think you misunderstand how you have implemented it then. My broker is not on the HA machine but the connection details are used by HA. I can see the MQTT messages being published to the broker from the phone and then HA subscribing to those messages. the only way this could have happened is for you to have got those details from HA.

I think the way to do it is to offer the option to use the HA configuration for MQTT or specify your own. In effect you are building in an MQTT client to the app.