ASUS WRT Device Tracking Issues - dnsmasq been replaced with udhcpd

Sounds like a plan. Let me know how you go.

Hi Mukund

I had a look at the python code and I was having some issues re-working the regex to handle to the new formatting of the dhcpd_lease file and time ran out. So i ended up taking the ASUS DSL-AC56U back to the shop and paid the difference to get the AC68U model the same as you.

And yep the dnsmasq.lease is right where it should be, and happy days my device tracking is working as it should be now.

Thanks for your help looking up that dnsmasq was present on the AC68U model :slight_smile:

Craig

Maybe using the web interface given the example here will be easier?

Hi Craig

Good that its working for you. I think the 68U is better anyway regardless of the HA compatibility.

Mukund

hey guys hope someone can help me i use asus wrt for device tracking it worcks fine
but every day around midday all my devices change to away even though they are at home
i have RT-AC68P
this is my config
device_tracker:
- platform: asuswrt
host: my ip address
username: mysecretusername
password: mysecretpassword
protocol: telnet
interval_seconds: 10
consider_home: 180
track_new_devices: yes

device_tracker:
  - platform: asuswrt
    host: my ip address
    username: mysecretusername
    password: mysecretpassword
    protocol: telnet
    interval_seconds: 10

Hi Kem

This is probably due to the ip leases your router assigns expiring. I dare so you have a 24 hr lease period setting on your router and you would have done a router reboot sometime in the recent past around midday which reset all the existing device ip renewals.

You should be able to increase the expiry period for assigned ip addresses on the router. But at some stage they will expire. But the device should literally flick offline for a few seconds and then be back on the network again with the same ip but with a fresh renewal period.

Craig

thanks for the replay can you point me on where on my router settings should i look and ones again thanks

Kem

The IP lease setting can be found in LAN - DHCP Server Tab, there will be a lease time variable you can set. Mine is currently set at 86,400 seconds (24 hrs), which is the default.

Craig

i got thank you so much for taking the time help me

Hi,
I’m trying to use AsusWRT on my AC68U
I tried both telnet and ssh by username and password. Same return as SSH enable?
on the router log. it says login attempt from nonexsistent user.
I can login from my raspberry pi by ssh [email protected] it works.
Any suggestion?

device_tracker:

platform: asuswrt
host: 192.168.*****
username: admin
password: *******
protocal: telnet
mode: router
protocal: telnet
interval_seconds: 61

this my be a dumb question but it happen to me have you enable telnet on your router ??

Hi, Kem
thanks for your reply.
Just double checked it is enabled.

ok it happen to me i was about to give up wen i find out im sorry i can’t be more helpful im new to all this

Hi There

Yes you will need to enable Telnet on the router, its found in the “Administration” menu as a Enable Telnet tickbox.

Also your configuration file information had some issues with it such as :

platform: asuswrt
host: 192.168.*****
username: ‘admin’ * Needs inverted commas around text
password: ‘*******’ * Needs inverted commas around text
protocol: telnet * Protocol misspelt, and only need it once
mode: router
interval_seconds: 61

yes my configuration is working everthing is good thanks

Thank you both Kem and Craigcarps
I just changed those errors. But the router log still shows “Login attempt for nonexistent user from 182.166.97.84:55674”.
this is my router setting.

Maybe try double checking the spelling on your username and password in the configuration.yaml file.

Everything else all looks good

update,
I changed it (add commas) and reboot the pi. Event it still not work but the router return as bad password instead of nonexistant user

Hi, Craigcarps and Kem
Just return with you. I got it works. Even with some error on log, it is able to track devices. Just as suggest as Craigcarps.
Again. Thank you both!