Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Seems like a fair observation @sparkydave - Deta gear is basic stuff. Wondering if you have any recommendations for 3-speed fan controllers? Either Z-Wave or Wi-Fi (ideally non-cloud) but probably not Zigbee. From reading - I don’t think the Aeotec dimmers or Shelly 2 dimmer can be used for this purpose. Maybe the C-Tec wall switches? Am interested in your thoughts. thanks

Correct you can’t use the dimmer but I use a Aeotec switch for one room. However you can’t change the speed, it just remains at whatever speed you have set on the rotary selector. In my case that isn’t a problem as we always leave it on 2.See post above yours for a Zigbee option that I am now happy with.

Thanks for your feedback @OzGav. I’ve read mixed things about the Nue switches but haven’t tried them. Things like buzzing noises and poor quality are talked about. Maybe that has improved though? Also not too sure about Zigbee for switching but happy to be persuaded.

1 Like

Seems to me the guy is constantly looking to improve the product. The in ceiling switches work perfectly for me, I have them connected to my Hue hub. The fan ceiling switches above are connected to zigbee2mqtt as they are more complex than the Hue hub can understand. No buzzing for me, the only thing is the relays are a bit loud but that is just at the point of power change then they are silent.
I am yet to try a dimmer that is next.

1 Like

Is there a list of approved products.

I’m looking up setting up a set up for my elderly mother.

I’m going to run zigbee usb adaptor
The button to act as emergency buttons
Sensors to pin point where is is.

But should I go smart switch or smart bulb it’s only to monitor where she is and start a timer xxxmin bring up alarm.

I’ll also grab a few xiaomi motion sensors also.

Will a USB zigbee stick control all zigbee devices.

Any other ideas

1 Like

Ah, good to know. Might have to give the Nue switches a try. Thanks

If you are after the fan light switch then make sure to specify you only want the latest version with the external capacitor. I am sure there are a bunch of the older versions still kicking around.

Not that I am aware but we really should start one. I might try and make a Google doc if others think that it would be useful.

Probably a bulb as they are easier to change if something fails

I just have a CC2531 and it is doing the job for me ok

3 Likes

Ah yep. Will do. Thanks

Depending on how frail your mum is you may want to consider some kind of UPS backup that is connected to home assistant, perhaps an alternative mobile internet backup and setting up automations to notify if things aren’t working etc. That may be overkill though - just depends.

It would certainly save time spent scouring forums.

1 Like

Yes this is what I have done. My Mum doesn’t have HA but I use a hacked DJ0231 with a 12 month Aldi data plan to give her VOIP phone and a 24GB data (Sensibo control of her A/C, Magic Mirror on her TV each morning to show her what is going on that day and VOIP) all connected to a UPS.

What do people think of this? You can filter the columns. Any more columns needed?

I am thinking of only adding items that people have first hand experience of. Those who would like to edit it PM me and I will add you as an editor.

3 Likes

Might be worth doing it in a fashion similar Blakadder. The git docs wiki thing.
https://guides.github.com/features/wikis/

I thought the filtering and sorting might be useful?

1 Like

I agree…

This is based on a git wiki I believe or was. It’s searchable and filter able. The git version allows users to to upload moderated edits etc.

Happy for someone to do that as I would have to learn how to which I don’t quite have time for at the moment. I was hoping to just make something relatively easy that would be useful and could be populated by the crowd to spread the workload. As I said happy with whatever others want to do (if anything).

How about starting with the spreadsheet and then we, including me, can get a wiki up and running for the longer term?

Many moons ago, @PetrK did just that! Looks like it hasn’t been touched for about 6 months …