Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Yep supposed to be, but I recently got burnt on some sengled mains powered stuff I expected to be repeaters but wasn’t

I’ve checked the parameters in HA. Under the zwave js I can easily change between toggle switch and momentary. It doesn’t make a difference

And the fact that one momentary switch is working perfectly on S2 makes me think it’s likely busted mechs, or bad wiring. Because everything else is the same S1/S2

Please excuse my ignorance, I see the following on the spec of the module, ‘3 wire design’. Does that mean they require a neutral wire?

Yes, mech requires neutral. The wiring diagram can be found here: https://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_Doc_Ref=MFR3874302&p_File_Ext=.PDF

2 Likes

gne

Of the three dead Kogan V1 Smart Switches I have, replacing the film capacitor fixed precisely… none of them.

One also has this nice little hole:

Though powering the ESP sub-assebly board with 3.3V from my bench supply does bring it back to life.

Two have no other visible damage. Powering them from my bench 3.3v power supply resurrects one of them but not the other. So one has a dud ELV power supply and one has (at least) a dead ESP module.

I could spend hours reverse engineering them and hunting down the fault(s) or swapping parts from one to the other but I’m not going to.

I’m going to go to Officeworks and buy some of their their flashable smart switches.

Sorry folks, there appears to be no easy fix. There is a cascade of faults in my units that simply aren’t worth fixing.

I might send them to Big Clive as he seems to like investigating this sort of thing.

9 Likes

No but I’ve got it working with LocalTuya.

Hello,

Just wondering what people are using to monitor whole of home power consumption. Reading through the various threads there is a lot of conflicting information and references to power socket monitors.

I have an old system in place that doesn’t integrate into home assistant and would love to replace with it with a system that does. Doesn’t have to be fancy, would just like to monitor how much power I am using.

Anyone have any suggestions or can point me to a thread that covers that.

TIA.

Shelly EM or IoTaWatt systems seem to be popular.

3 Likes

So glad I saw this - I bought it with the same hopes, and you saved me a lot of time trying to identify how to get it going. Thankyou!

For anyone in the future - Can confirm that there is no issues with ESPHome on the energy monitoring, also updated with LED pin…

GPIO3 - CSE7766 Rx
GPIO4 - Button_n 1
GPIO5 - Status LED
GPIO13 - Relay 1
1 Like

Thanks David. Do you have anywhere to get a supply of TYWE2s modules at a good price? I just happened to have one lying around, but AliExpress doesn’t seem to sell them except at an exorbitant price. I’d like to do a few more of these sockets…

+1 for IoTaWatt, for me it’s been rock solid.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers guys. I see the IoTaWatt is only available on back order, so I might give the shelly EM a try as I’mm just after something simple. One zone should be sufficient. The only thing I am concerned about is that the shelly EM may not be suitable for whole of house monitoring.

Looking at my current peak for today at 930w should be 3.88 amps at 240v so the 50amp model should be OK I reckon.

I have the Shelly EM monitoring my whole house. You just have to pick appropriately rated current transformers.

1 Like

It doesn’t quite work that way. If you want to get into the ‘why’, look up ‘Power Factor’, and ‘Inrush Current’. Just a couple of factors to consider.

Thanks, would the 50amp model be OK?

Look at your main circuit breaker rating.

Thanks, says 80amp on the main switch.

Get a 120A CT then.

What is a CT and what are the transformers I need?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001878249378.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.10926f42Ovp7Q5

$7 a piece with not unreasonable delivery time… I ordered 2x just in-case. Not sure if I’ll bother with another energy monitoring PowerPoint, but the dimmer light switches may have the same use-case.

Completely unrelated note - does anyone on here have a sparky in Canberra who would be willing to install some contactors on my power board so that I can control entire circuits?