Automations slow response lights

Hi, i’m using automations to trigger my lights on motion.
The lights are using zigbee, but i notice a slow response some times when i enter a room.
Most of the times it is running good and fast, but lately the response takes 1-2 seconds.

Running hass.io on docker environment using intel-nuc i3 with SSD.

Any tips to make the delay go away?

1 Like

Is my question placed in the right section?

Edit your post category to:

https://community.home-assistant.io/c/configuration/zigbee/39

Thank you, i’ve changed it.

What ZigBee stick are you using ? How many ZigBee devices ?

CC2531 as coordinator
CC2531 as router

8 Light bulbs
2 Signal repeaters
14 Zigbee devices (blinds, motion sensors, …)

Did you make any progress with this one? I’m having the same issue albeit switching a lamp on with a zigbee smart plug, with a conbee 2 stick on rpi3.

After my latest reply i didn’t get a response. Still having the problem.
2 weeks i read a possible solution about the zigbee map plugin. It could cause a delay for the lights during updating the map, but it looks like it’s not a solution.

Same problem using deconz usb ii. It takes 2-3 seconds after cabled sensors get motion. In this automation only the light is zigbee. I also have a zigbee switch connected to this very same light. Pressing it causes 1-2 seconds for light reaction.

Using hassio on ubuntu intel nuc i7 with deconz usb ii.

EDIT: could it be about the default transition on/off and this light is not supporting it? At least i know my light and sonoff zigbee switch doesn’t support it.

Switching off from within HA seitches the light off instantly, however switching on takes 2 seconds.

Tried the same with gledopto zigbee led driver connected to hue lightstrip, on and off are instant both with transition effects.

All my lights are IKEA TRADFRI, i shall edit the transition and see if it’s working. Thanks for the possible hint!

I have similar problem with my installation.
When I was using Xiaomi Hub + Xiaomi button = light turned on much quicker.
Since I moved the bulb and the button to zigbeee2mqtt - the latency increased almost twice. Now it may take up to a couple of seconds to react.

I run mqtt monitor and was able to see that zigbee2mqtt publish the message with the delay once I pressed Xiaomi button. Looks like the radio part requires way more time to recognize the event, probably?
I could also see that using IKEA button instead of Xiaomi - decreased that delay a bit.

May that be a bug or an issue in the firmware?
Or it is a price we have to pay for widest compatibility of our zigbee sticks in comparison to vendor-specific hubs?

Testing it now for a few months and looks like there is no big difference.
Sometimes my lights won’t turn on and have to wait for 5 seconds.
Maybe i have to look out for another solution and forget zigbee.

Guess that’s indeed the price we have to pay, delays are incredibly annoying if your house is running with motion sensors using zigbee.

Tried a lot of other setups, but unfortunately it’s not making any difference.

Just adding my six peneth, I too am having this issue with RPI4 and CC2531 coordinator. It doesn’t happen all the time so that’s a bit more of an annoyance trying to work out what the issue is.

Thought moving away from Smartthings and Hue hubs to Home Assistant would be faster.

I am having this same issue in HA using conbee ii, a Smartthings motion sensor (added to conbee) using ZHA to trigger my caseta switch in the main half-bath. Sometimes it’s super fast other times it’s a 5 second delay. Had better response with this set-up using homebridge smartthings plugin and using the siri shortcuts and scripting for the motion light automation in the home app (although that still uses the ST cloud and should be slower). Aqara and various sensors in other areas of my house are triggering tuya local bulbs and other caseta switches, hue bulbs just fine. Does it have something to do with being a switch entity vs light entity (the half-bath is a on/off caseta switch and shows as a switch entity not a light?!?!). Maybe HA just has a hiccup every once in a while? RPi 4 4GB running pretty cool usually about 37 Celcius, via ethernet, conbee ii is on an extension (a few zigbee router/repeaters but adding more once i can flash my CC2531’s with antennas). Any suggestions on how to make it trigger lights faster e.g. automation settings etc please let us know!!!

I am so fed up with this 5-10 seconds sensor to hue bulb is just ridiculous.

I have done all sorts to make thing’s quicker but no good

Raspberry pi 4 2mb usb ssd. USB zwave, usb Zigbee stick

And you changed radio channel to one less used, didn’t you?

Thanks, yes I have now and that has improved things but I still have some slow devices, a garage door sensor (Smartthings), and two hue bulbs that should come on when the door opens but sometimes you can go into the garage get what you want, and start closing the door before the lights come on.

I have installed a Zigbee router in the garage but doesn’t make a difference

Are you cutting power to the lights?
Response time for my ZigBee lights is a few milliseconds. I never power them off so the mesh is nice and stable

I got the same problems… Raspberry pi 3 with hass os… Installed a week ago…

Before i had hass io on synology… No problems…

Zigbee2mqtt stick with two Osram occupie sensor and one traders remote… All lights are connected to a hue hub.