Automations using wait templates are no longer waiting

I have a few automations that relay on wait templates before they continue triggering, these used to work fine but I guess a recent update changed/broke the functionality. Anyone else notice this? I didn’t see any breaking changes.

I use wait_template in many instances and haven’t notice any problem with it.

Huh… both of the following automations are supposed to wait until my front door opens to trigger, except they trigger as soon as the trigger happens. I can’t even find documentation of the wait_template, mind if I see one of your examples?

# BRIGHT
- alias: Lights On Bright - Arriving Home
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id:
        - device_tracker.dereks_phone
        - device_tracker.kalees_phone
        - device_tracker.nolans_phone
      to: 'home'
  condition:
    condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: numeric_state
        entity_id: sensor.indoor_brightness
        below: '15'
      - condition: state
        entity_id: input_select.day_period
        state: 'Afternoon'
        entity_id: input_select.lighting_mode
        state: 'Lights Off'
  action:
    - wait_template: "{{ states.binary_sensor.front_door_sensor_sensor.state == 'on' }}"
      timeout: '00:30:00'
    - service: scene.turn_on
      entity_id: scene.bright

###### LOCATE VACUUM UPON ENTRY
- alias: Vacuuming - Locate'
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: group.people
      to: 'home'
  condition:
    condition: or
    conditions:
        entity_id: sensor.vacuum_status
        state: 'Paused'
        entity_id: sensor.vacuum_status
        state: 'Charger disconnected'
  action:
    - wait_template: "{{ states.binary_sensor.front_door_sensor_sensor.state == 'on' }}"
      timeout: '00:30:00'
    - delay: '00:00:10'
    - service: vacuum.locate
      entity_id: vacuum.xiaomi_vacuum_cleaner

Are you aware that due to timeout, your automation will stop executing if the condition doesn’t meet. In your case, if door is not open in 30 min, other steps will not happen due to timeout.

Yeah I originally just copied it over so I thought it needed to have it, gonna take that out now. Still though, they aren’t working either way haha

I wonder if there’s any chance this is related to this open issue, although the open issue is only for scripts.

Huh. Could be? Weird that this started happening out of the blue.

Can you explain in more details what is actually happening with your automation? What behave do you expect? Have you tried to remove your timeouts?
There were some changes to wait_template but nothing has been broken so far.

Do you recall what the changes were? For example my first automation turns on my lights when I come home after I open my front door and it’s dark inside, except now it just skips the wait for me to open my door. The second is basically the same thing, my vacuum announces it’s location if it’s not on the dock 10 seconds after I open the door, except now it announces it’s location 10 seconds after I get home. Each automation is ignoring the wait template.

I’ve doubled checked the template, it is valid and attributes to false when the door is closed, and the entity is also still the same. I really have no clue why this is happening, thing is the yesterday I think it worked? It seems rather inconsistent so it’s possible I had an error somewhere that was causing an issue?