Automation using Netatmo Rain Gauge

Can anybody help me to set up an automation using the Netatmo rain gauge?

Ich would like to trigger a switch, as soon as the Netatmo rain gauge measures rain falling. What is the correct unit and what is the correct type of trigger for the Netatmo rain gauge?

I tried numeric value above 0,1mm without success.

cheers

Rainer

I haven’t tried this with a actual response from the Netatmo API since it doesn’t rain right now and I’ll have to wait for that but I think s.th. like this should work:

alias: Notify when rain is detected
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.netatmo_home_rain
condition: []
action:
  - service: persistent_notification.create
    data:
mode: single

Hi,
I know your post 1 year old :smiley: but did you managed it?
I am facing same issues, building first of all a very ligth automation to make sure HA is able to manage properly the output data from Netatmo sensors such as rain today mm values but I am struggling to get it working.

FYI - On my side, when performing some tests and without raining, I just fill-in a bit of water in the sensor :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you:

Hi Gabmks,

no, I didn’t… The solution that works for me is a wired rain sensor running on a 24 Volt power supply connected to a shelly 1.

as soon as the rain sensor switches, the shelly reports that its switch is on and I use that signal to determine that it is raining.

That works fine so far. If you need photos, I can help

Cheers Rainer

While working with Netatmo rain sensor you should choose the right sensor created in HA to trigger the automation. There are 3 sensors created automatically:

• sensor. station name_rain - showing current rain
  • sensor. station name_sum_rain_1 last hour - showwing accumulated rain for past clock hour
  • sensor. station name_sum_rain_24 - showing accumulated rain for last day

If you want to trigger automation as soon as rain starts (well, accumulating of 0.1mm might take a while!) you should use the first one and state trigger from: 0 (unlike in example in one of previous post I’d not use from: ‘0.0’).

1 Like

I know this post is a bit old, but inside the Netatmo Rain gauge, there is a tiny flip-flop switch attached to a spoon like plastic shape that catches the rain, and the weight of the water causes it to flip, and - I presume, sends some kind of signal that causes these sensors to update ? - or…

Well, it is that first ‘flip’ signal that’s interesting to use as a trigger.

If this works the way that this signal is only sent to the Netatmo cloud, which in turn accumulates a certain minimum number of flips in order to reach a minimum set value of 0.1mm rain, and then updates the sensors - well, then it’s already too late, because by then everything outside that needs to be rescued from the rain, is already wet.

Well, depends on when the first flip occures. If capacity of switch is equal to 0.1 mm rain, then already the first flip of sensor could cause the trigger as these would be equal. If it is accumulated, some delay should be expected.
Perhaps some test to be done on sunny day, to make so flip-flops manually and check when the first trigger from Netatmo ingration comes to HA.

Hi @mirekmal
I “tested” it now, and here is the result:
Rain began as per manual observation at 09:06 am
The first registration in Home Assistant from the rain gauge came at 09:41:29 am (see the graph) which then also triggered the automation.
So, an affective delay of more than half an hour! And, as you can imagine - everything outside was well wet by then.

Hi guys, the Netatmo rain gauge is completely useless for that type of evaluation or measure.

Only if you are interested in the amount of rain collected, then this gives you some value.

In order to have the information “rain started now”, I use a rain detector with an integrated relay connected to a Shelly one.

Once the rain sensor triggers the shelly sends the signal, that it has changed from open to closed. In other words, rain has just begun.

Remark: it has to be a Shelly one since that is potential free.
Rainer

Would a leak sensor work for detecting the rain? Something like Aqara water sensor with a plate such as https://www.reddit.com/r/Aqara/comments/10q5yon/found_this_plate_that_can_make_aqara_water_sensor/

I was going to go down the route of using the Netatmo rain gauge but based on what everyone has said here it seems thats not going to work well enough

I do not think so; leak sensors (usually) rely on some contacts mounted underneath, that require water to shortcut them to get leak signal. So again it can react quick, but under condition that there is enough water…

I’ve wondered if some kind of 3d printed tray for the water sensor that collected enough water to trigger the sensor before emptying itself (so that you would know when it started/continued/stopped raining) would work.

HI guys, why not simply use the Kemo M152K connested to a shelly one?
Hava a look here:

Please don’t go for the cheaper version Kemo M152. You’ll end up buying the M152K after no later than six months. I can help as to how to set it up. It works and is quick and reliable
Rainer

1 Like