Awesome Climate Features

I recently got into HASS and I’m loving it. I am using automations to configure a schedule, but it takes a good amount of lines to get a simple schedule. Also as a nest user there are many other features that I’ve become used to. One of my goals is to replace the next with a low cost thermostat, but I don’t want to loose the nest’s great features. I don’t believe these features exist in HASS currently. I would like to create these features, but I’m not entirely sure if it’s a new component, or extending the climate service itself.

To start, here are the use cases I’m interested in. I would like to start just by focusing on (1) but here is the scope of my interest:

(1) “Easy Scheduler” - An easy schedule for winter and summer day/times that switches all automatically. This also manages both heating and cooling schedules.
(2) “Pre-cooling” - An option that allows the schedule entries ^ to be the temperature at that time instead of setting the desire at that time.
(3) “Zone support” - The ability to have schedule items built on different sensors not just the thermostat. This allows an evening setpoint to focus on the temp in my bedroom at night instead of the living room. I have to have a second sensor to use this feature (obviously).
(4) “Auto-away” - Location based home/away assessment for a larger range of allowed temp values, maybe +/- 7 degrees extra perhaps.

I would like to do the easy scheduler to start with. To do that I can think of two ways:

I could make a component. This component would perform calls to a configurable thermostat using the climate service.

Another option is to build this intelligence directly into the climate service itself. Between these two options can existing devs (hopefully core devs) give me some guidance around which path to go down?

Thanks!
Brian

I am not familiar with the Home Assistant code base, so I cannot comment on the approach you should take. However, I am interested in this feature set. My current Home Assistant setup could really benefit from at least (1) and (2). I’d be glad to contribute to this effort.

Any progress on this? Sound ;like a bomb. Especially easy schedulling