Baby Bottle Scale & Keypad Integration with Baby Buddy

With a baby on the way, I wanted a way to measure formula consumption without using an app all the time, so I built a small kitchen scale with ESPHome to log the difference between a full and empty bottle and log that in BabyBuddy for display in Home Assistant.

After setting up Baby Buddy locally, I used the Baby Buddy Custom Component (you can also use the add-on).

Now I have bottle consumption and feeding time logging at the push of a button.

I plan on setting up some remote buttons for diaper changes and naps similar to this one, and that should integrate pretty seamlessly once it’s built.

Full instructions on GitHub here.

UPDATE: I’ve added a quick entry keypad for diaper and sleep logging here:

4 Likes

I love this! If we weren’t breast feeding then i would 100% make it.

One thing I will say is that we initially started with using that exact same ZigBee IKEA button and almost immediately dropped it. It proved unreliable with registering button presses, especially if you move away from where it was paired.

We’ve ended up using a combination of custom Alexa voice commands and widgets on an Android tablet.

Example voice commands:

Trigger: Alexa, [left breast, right breast, both breasts, bottle]
Result: records feed type and start time in HA

Trigger: Alexa, stop feed
Result: records end time and sends feed info to BB

Trigger: Alexa, [wet nappy, dirty nappy, full nappy]
Result: Records time and sends nappy (diaper) info to BB

Trigger: Alexa, [nap time, tummy time]
Result: Records start time / records end time and sends to BB

Trigger: Alexa, [last feed, last change]
Result: announce details of last feed or change i.e “last feed was left breast, 3 hours 7 minutes ago, for 20 minutes and 5 seconds”

Another useful automation we have is keeping our bedroom night light on after a feed for 20 minutes as baby has bad reflux. Once 20 is up another lamp turns on and for one second and back off to tells us baby is ok to put down to sleep.

Here is a photo of our tablet widgets:

I almost forgot, for each button on the screen I added them into my wife’s Apple watch in case the tablet and vice commands arent possible, this is especially useful when starting at her parents and the tablet is out of reach.

2 Likes

This is great! Baby’s first word might be Alexa though!

3 Likes

Haha true, although a 3 syllable word as her first would be pretty impressive.

1 Like

I’ve added to this project with a ESP Home Quick Entry Keypad for BabyBuddy Items here:

No button for a full (wet + solid) nappy?

They’re logged the same in Baby Buddy so I didn’t see the need to use up the space. We just frequently press the two buttons at the same time :nauseated_face:

I’ve also set a single press as “5” amount, and a long press as a “10” in case we want to keep track of volume. A single or double shot I guess.

I know I’m late to the party - but how did you get Alexa to trigger commands in baby buddy? Is it through the “Amazon Alexa Custom Skill” functionality or something simpler?

I use the Alexa Media Player custom component

That allows me to create entities in home assistant that can be triggered using an Alexa routine