Best option for me on Ubuntu Server: Docker & Hass.io or VM & HassOS?

So I have been running an Unraid server and dockerised my life, i’m totally sold on quality dockers managed and updated well.

I am about to jump into the Home Assistant world. I have replaced a few bulbs with Tradfrei, one swtich and one plug ready to play a bit first.

Originally I was going to either VM or Docker something in Unraid, but i have a spare laptop here (Dell e7250 i5 4gb 128gb SSD) So I thought i’ll separate my Home Assistant from my main server, even though its downtime can be measured in a few days over 3 solid years.

Benefits I see is the laptop naturally has a “built in UPS” and keyboard and mouse for administering directly if necessary with literally zero faff.

Plan is to run Ubuntu Server, and Dockers, because i have a Conbee and i believe deconz and a docker is the way to use that. I also plan to run Shinobi for cameras to benefit from the same redundancy.

So naturally I plan to run Hass.io in a docker as well. Hass.io = simple + add-ons available, docker = simple to keep up to date, what do i lose out on doing it this way?

The more I read into this, the more i appear to get conflicting info, so am i right in thinking of doing it this way?

What about HassOS in a VM?

Or Something else?

If you want hassio, run hassio. I prefer to manage all my own containers so I don’t like hassio, but I understand the appeal.

Running hassio on Ubuntu server is perfectly acceptable, and you don’t really lose out on much.

You can do that if you wish. Half a dozen one way, 6 the other…

I think this is the problem there is no right or wrong way, which shows how flexible HA is, but it also trips me up a bit.

I would presume a VM and HassOS is more resource instensivem than Hassio Docker, for little gain I assume.

I think i’ll give my first go as a hass.io docker, gives me simplicity, and ease, and i can decide what i do from there.

Cheers :slight_smile:

I don’t really see any benefit to HassOS in a VM.

Just run the installer script and you’ll be fine. You can’t run it through a compose file, nor can you run it manually without some coaxing.