Best way to make abstractions from entities

I want to create an abstraction from my physical devices to my logical devices.
For instance, a logical sensor could be “living room temperature” and the actual sensor behind it could be something like ‘sensor.0x006315611131_temperature’.
Then in my automations I will reference the logical sensor (e.g. living room temperature) and no the phyisical one.
What is it that I want to achieve? I want to be able to replace one physical device ( a bulb, a temp sensor, etc.) by another one and only having to change the config in a single place.

What’s the best way to do that?

What I have been doing so far is using this in config yaml files:

- platform: group
  name: 'Living Room Light'
  entities:
    - light.0x7cb03eaa00af455d

Is this the right approach is there a better way?

1 Like

What I do is creating 1-to-1 template sensors exactly for that purpose, e.g

template:
    - name: "living_room_temperature"
      unique_id: "living_room_temperature"
      # friendly_name: 'Living temperature'
      state: '{{ (states("sensor.ble_temperature_thermo_living")|round(1)) }}'
      unit_of_measurement: "°C"
      device_class: temperature
      state_class: measurement

1 Like

Yes, just rename the entity_id when replacing the device with something new.

E.g.

1. remove old device
  2. remove entity in the entity list if it still exists
  3. add new device
  4. rename entity_id for the new entity to the name of the old entity.

If you can’t remove the entity in step 2 (sometimes requires restart and I’m too lazy at that point) then do the following:

1. rename entity_id attached to old device that you are planning to remove.
  2. add new device
  3. rename entity_id for the new entity to the name of the old entity_id.
  4. delete old device and no longer care about old entity_id until the next time you restart, which by then you will be able to remove.
1 Like

You can change the entity id in one place. Configuration / Entities.

Just change sensor.0x006315611131_temperature to sensor.living_room_temperature there.

And avoid using device automations, there is no easy way to change device ids like you can entity ids.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a need to make abstracted entities unless I’m changing something about the entity itself. Worse case scenario if you can’t do the steps I said is a find and replace in all your files. Which is very easy to do with vscode or notepad++.

That is the solution to the device id issue too.

Just to put it into perspective. I’m using 6 year old entity_id’s generated from the deprecated zwave on all my really old zwave devices.

now if you can’t change the entity_id because you’re using a really old integration that doesn’t allow changing of the entity_id, then I can see making abstracted entities. But these integrations should allow you to manually configure them and add name to the yaml. Which should change the entity_id, unless it’s a REALLY old integration.

Thanks for all your answers. I like both approaches and thanks to the answer from @koying I got to learn about Template Sensors, which I will use for also other things I didn’t know I could do.
I marked it as the solution because it provides exactly what I asked for, but the other answers I think are also really valid.

I find it more elegant to abstract a sensor usage rather than changing it’s name, really.

See it as dependency injection :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: