Best Zigbee USB?

Hi there,

I have a quick question hoping someone here can help.

I’m running my home assistant in a docker container on an instance of ubuntu server on a hp thin client I have set up at home. I have a mix of hue and Ikea bulbs around my house that I would like to integrate in my home assistant. The hue bulbs have excellent connection and little to no delay. However my Ikea bulb are slow and unresponsive via their connection through the Ikea hub. For this reason I would like to directly connect the Ikea bulbs to my home assistant setup via a Zigbee usb. This should also let me set up the Ikea switches I have if I read the info I found online correctly.
My question now is, what is the best zigbee usb for me and does someone fave experience with setting this up?

Thanks

I opt for the Conbee II stick from Dresden Elektronik and the deconz addon/container.

1 Like

There are three Zigbee options with Home Assistant (regardless of how you install it). These are:

• deCONZ is relatively stable and mature with its own UI. It can run in an add-on, in a Docker container, or natively. Known working devices are documented, and how to request support for a new device is documented too (you can’t add unsupported devices yourself).
  • zha is actively developed as part of Home Assistant Core, using the zigpy stack, the UI also being part of Home Assistant. There is no list of supported devices, as any standards compliant device should work. Devices that require extra support are listed, and adding unsupported devices is documented (you can’t add unsupported devices yourself).
  • Zigbee2MQTT is very actively developed and can run in an add-on for Hass.io, in a Docker container, and natively, with no native UI. It uses MQTT for control and configuration, but there are third party UIs. The known working devices are well documented (which usually includes how to pair them so you don’t have to find the manual), and adding unsupported devices is also documented.

Each supports different sticks, though zha generally supports the widest range. Each also documents what stick(s) they support :wink:

Any of them will work for you, none are “best”.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation! I have orderd a zigbee receiver and will try software wise once it’s in