Blind Grouping Icons Don't Behave Like Blind Icons

Hello,

I have a bunch of blinds. The open, they close; in HA, the icon for these responds as I would expect:
2022-01-26 19_55_25-Greenshot
yellow for on/up and blue for down/off; this is the default behavior, no problem here.

I grouped blinds in Yaml (because that’s what I gathered is currently the only option) where you can of course select an icon. Here’s an example with no icon, one with blind open, and just blinds
2022-01-26 19_58_36-Greenshot

The icon for the group doesn’t respond in open or closed like the individual devices. It just changes color. You can see where the individual devices are different

Here is an example using icon mdi:blinds and it does the same thing just with a different picture

Of course leaving the icon out of the group entirely puts nothing there:
2022-01-26 20_07_12-Greenshot

Why does this matter? Because when buttons are grouped together with singular devices vs groups, the buttons superficially behave differently and it’s confusing:
2022-01-26 20_08_49-Greenshot

How do I make the group blind icons behave the same way the default blind device icons behave?

Use the cover group platform, not the group integration:

OK, that makes much more sense and I didn’t know there was a difference so thanks for that. While it got me further, the icon still isn’t right.

cover:

- platform: group

name: Dining Room Blinds

entities:

- cover.dining_room_window_1

- cover.dining_room_window_2

- cover.dining_room_window_3

The icon comes over as a window:

and I can’t edit it because it was configured in YAML. But there MUST be a way to change it, right? What if I have a group of garage doors or curtains using cover?
I thought I was slick by telling it to use the icon and it doesn’t like that:

cover:
  - platform: group
    name: Dining Room Blinds
    icon: mdi:blinds
    entities:
      - cover.dining_room_window_1
      - cover.dining_room_window_2
      - cover.dining_room_window_3

I tried to change the icon in the dashboard but it just does the same behavior that brought me here (staying open or staying closed and just changing color)

Am I able to change the cover grouping icon from window to blind?

Nevermind I gave it a unique ID, then I could change it!

After you setup the cover group - use customize.yaml to change the DEVICE CLASS of the cover group to shade.

Customizing entities - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes