Blitzortung doesn't work

that’s not quite what i meant. after installing blitzortung using HACS, did you install anything else to make it work? do you have this client.py file on your system? if so where is it?

i just checked. pi-hole gets loads of requests for blitzortung.ha.sed.pl, but it doesn’t say what IP address belongs to that URL.
time for some testing in pfsense…

Not at all, it was an assumption because of the wording “lightning strike” on the integration’s github page. I was just thinking out loud.

Nope just installed it via hacs and set up the parameters in integrations.

i just removed and re-installed blitzortung AGAIN, and guess what? still unavailable. AAARGH!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

when i go to settings → devices and services and then click on 1 service in the blitzortung box, it says version 0.0.1 in the service info box. shouldn’t that be 1.1.2?

That’s what mine says:

Screenshot 2022-08-14 at 19-40-50 Settings – Home Assistant

You really need to work out what firewall rule is blocking it from accessing the services it needs on the internet.

can someone give me a pointer to the IP address and port i need to allow?

tom, i notice that the words “Lightning Detector” are blue. are they a link? on my system they are grey.

Nope. Not a link, just my theme.

You could ask the developer here:

ok, i’ve managed to give home assistant access to DNS, and then it started trying to contact the blitzortung server. but now i have another problem: the damned default deny rule in pfsense keeps blocking those requests even though i have a rule that specifically allows home assistant to use the internet.

YABBADABBADOO! i don’t know how or why but it works :open_mouth:

1 Like

Same problem of the OP, but using official ADblock addon instead of piHole.
Btw, all the other online things cotinued to work while Blitzortung was “Unavailable”.
I’m under a thunderstorm just now, and I just solved simply by restarting the integration, then in a few seconds the lightning values came up correctly.
If it isn’t solvable in “official” ways, I will setup an automation to do this every 15 minutes or so.

I seem to have similar problems with Blitzortung.

I do not have ADblock or pfsense.

Azimuth & Distance are always “Unknown”. :confused: Running v1.3.1

Any ideas?

Has there been any lightning nearby?

I do not believe so, not within the 30 mile range I have set.

Is that what triggers it?

Yes. When a lightning event occurs nearby (within your detection range) the sensors will update.

if this is this the case, then thank you.

You can try increasing the range to check.

Than you I will try that.

Is there a way to have multiple locations? Looks like just one is possible.