Bridging WiFi to ethernet for Philips Hue Bridge

Hey Guys!

Hope I’m in the right section, was a bit unsure.

Since I’ve made a specific 3D printed case for all of my domotic components, I’m trying to find an easy way to let my Philips Hue Bridge directly connect via the ethernet port of the Raspberry Pi (which actually is connected to my network via WiFi). So, I would like to bridge the existent WiFi connection, so that the Raspberry Pi will be able to let the Hue directly connect to the ethernet port, using the same WiFi, actually.

By looking on the web, I’ve found this really interesting article which seems ok to me, the only problem is that I’m actually running an Hass.io image specific for my Raspberry Pi 3B+ and if I’m not wrong, by doing this I can’t access the core of my Pi via Hass.io or run any kind of sudo commands.

What’s the best option to do, in your opinion?

Should I reinstall HomeAssistant in another way, in order to execute those commands which will bring me to bridging WiFi to ethernet?

I’ve heard about Raspbian and Hassbian but I don’t know where to start, this would be my first time so any suggestion is warmly welcome.

Do both of them will let me take control of my Raspberry Pi, letting me install any dependencies, packets, run sudo commands and so on? I need my Pi to do this for the ethernet port bridging.

Thanks in advance :wink:

1 Like

Why not just plug them both into your switch like a normal setup.

I know man, but unfortunately, I’ve positioned the whole system in a place in which I can’t actually bring any ethernet cable or network switch :frowning: That place gives me full control of my 433 MHz appliances and if I move the case (also a little bit) it won’t control everything correctly due to weak signal issues (my house has 4 floors).

I’m trying to do something similar.

I have Hassio running on Raspberry Pi, which connects to my home network using Wifi. I also have some other hubs (Philips Hue, Insteon, etc.) which are not able to use Wifi. I’d like to connect the Raspberry Pi running Hassio, and the other hubs to a network switch, and have the Raspberry Pi “share” it’s wifi connection with the other devices using it’s ethernet port.

I looked over the documentation for NetworkManager, but not sure how to enable this.

Thanks for the help

This would probably at extra cost you might not want but you could buy a 2nd router wifi, bridge that to your existing wifi main router. Then plug your RPi into that via its Ethernet port and the Hue into the router too.

I have this arrangement and I also connect all my wifi based devices to that second router.

Thanks, yeah I think that would work, but don’t have an extra router.

There are hassio add-ons Dnsmasq and DHCP Server, which I think could be used, but haven’t found any examples for how to configure them for this case.

You no doubt have an access point, which bridges ethernet to wifi. Why do you need another bridge? Simply plug your switch into the ap.

You don’t need to spend much cash for a second router. As far as I can tell from your posts it doesn’t need a whole lot of bandwidth, so a cheapo one will do. Just make sure it has a repeater function!
Linksys sells a 54 something, which is greatly loved among home users to extend range and functionality while being reasonably cheap. If your home is that big, it surely would enhance your signal range too.

Alternatively you could take a look at dd-wrt or open-wrt compatible routers (that linksys is, even encouraged by the company!).

Well, you sure could setup your pi to bridge it’s LAN-port to it’s wifi. I can’t help you with that though.
Personaly I prefer having wires for reliability. I first had one router (4 ports) to cover all non-wifi devices like a desktop pc, and wifi for everything else like consoles. Last year I upgraded my home with a 16 port switch so I can plug in all the devices that are LAN-capable and only have mobile devices run on wifi.
So maybe you want to take another look at it?