Broadlink: Which is best, Switch or Remote for roller shades?

Hello all,

I have both Broadlink Switch and Remote set up and working. I understand Remote is newer and could be better ? I would not need it to grab RF codes (got that covered with Broadlink Manager).
(presently 0.110.2, System HassOS 3.13 on a pi 3)

For now I would be happy to have a simple chain of closing (like in a scene in IHC with delays between each event) triggered by sunrise-sunset. For this simple goal, which will be the easiest and fastest, Switch or Remote?

Then when time comes to complexify the automation with linking the roller shades action to solar elevation and the one facing west to a luminance sensor, I would like to be able to use what has already been set. I mean is there a best route that combines easy setup now and power later ?

Should I start right away with learning about Scripts ? Other advice ?

I appreciate !

1 Like

Did you find any information on this, I’d be interested as well.

Steven, I quit trying to use Home Assistant. Every step of the way was an immense struggle for me. I came to understand that I could not rely on the sd card on the Raspberry pi (I never succeeded in backing that up)- and anyway I need to count on the system if we are away for 2 weeks, and the real deal killer is that somehow Home Assistant was taking over the Broadlink and prohibited the possibility of controlling the roller shades from away.
I thought I understood the proper etiquette to get help, studied my subject a lot, find any answer already given, make up a good title, explain carefully…but it was not successful.
Anyway, during confinement it gave me a purpose. I bought a pc because some things did not work on my mac. Bought sd cards, usb sticks. Invested a lot in time and money.
Home Assistant was presented to me as powerful and simple, or at least attainable. I tried to enjoy the process as much as possible.
Well, turns out Google Home is infinitely easier (and that’s a billion trillon tera-gazillions time simpler), and with one of the three Broadlink apps I could have my roller shades come down in sequence according to the sunset changing time.
So, I admire those who can do it, but it was not for me. Good luck !

No worries, yes it can become difficult. For me it’s more a hobby thing. I get some enjoyment from figuring out how things work and getting them to work.

I too tried the raspberry pi and had the same SD card issues, I ended up installing it on an intel NUC with docker.

The thing I find with ‘cloud’ services like google, is that they’re all well and good until they decide to turn off their services. I rather like having things run on a computer I own rather than relying on someone else’s.

I got my blinds working as well, but as usual, it took me some time to figure it out.

Hope the Google Home thing works for you.

Cheers,