BRUH DIY Multisensor

I can’t actually tell how long, since the multi sensor connected to mini 5V solar panel. The battery is being charge during daytime. The small board is a Li-ion charge/discharge protection board.

1 Like

Im still have problems with it, sometimes it is still detecting motion even if there’s not. I think I need to move the PIR sensor away from the ESP8266. Have you encounter this problem?

Part numbers? Links?

Thomas I have your code working but what I am failing to understand is that when I restart home assistant the temperature is already above 18 degrees Celsius, however the automation (i.e. in my case the lights) do not turn on straight away after restart.

The automation does work after restart but after 5 to 10mins and not straight away.

I thought you said it should work straight away after restart as long as the template trigger is true.

What I am experiencing is delays which means if there is a change in temperature the template trigger (not necessary after restarting HASS) will not action it straight away. Why the delay? Any idea?

Thanks.

2 Likes

No idea in particular no :frowning:
Could you provide the code you are using in HA for your sensor and for the automation ?

Here is my code buddy:

- alias: Temperature above 18 degrees celsius turn on Kitchen Lights
  trigger:
    platform: template
    value_template: >
         {% if states.sensor.sn1_real_feel.state | float > 18 %}
           true
         {% endif %}
  action:
   service: switch.turn_on
   entity_id:
    - switch.kitchen_lights

Try this

- alias: 'Temperature above 18 degrees celsius turn on Kitchen Lights'
      trigger:
        platform: template
        value_template: {% states.sensor.sn1_real_feel.state | float > 18 %}
      action:
       service: switch.turn_on
       entity_id:
        - switch.kitchen_lights

Also, if you display simply the value of the sensor in the frontend, when you blow on the sensor does it update instantally or is it a 5 min lag ? We have to see if the delay if due to the reporting of the temperature from the Sensor node or if it is due to something in HA itself…

Editing this comment as I got mixed up between this thread and another - I’ll leave it here for prosperity, but it’s garbage:

Elsewhere there was discussion around that for the LUX sensor, IIRC they resolved it by working out that it’s a rolling average/cumulative average or what ever it’s called

This is normal condition with HASS on:

When I blow on the sensor the real feel and temperature values change roughly after every 30 to 60 seconds. Is that normal?

However, the humidity values go up to 99.9% and the values takes a while to drop i.e. more than 3 to 4 minutes. Is that normal?

After restarting HASS:

It takes nearly 2 minutes for the lights to turn on and when this happens the value of the temperature changes after 25 seconds.

Is that normal?

Thanks.

@lambtho I tried this and get the errors:

2017-08-07 22:14:53 ERROR (Thread-2) [homeassistant.util.yaml] while scanning for the next token
found character '%' that cannot start any token
  in "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml", line 453, column 22
2017-08-07 22:14:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error loading /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml: while scanning for the next token
found character '%' that cannot start any token
  in "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml", line 453, column 22

My bad, try
value_template: ‘{{ sensor blablabla }}’

For the hum sensor : yes if you breathe on it, the hum should go to 99%. And it stays there until some fresh air comes to the sensor and dilutes the humidity. So depending on the surroundings, the airflow,… I think it is normal behavior.

Did you modify something in particular in BRUH’s sensor code ? Usually when I blow on the sensor, it behaves just like in ben’s video… The response time is around 1 or 2 seconds.
What about the other sensors you have wired to the board ? Do you have PIR, light,… are those responding instantly ?

Ah right OK will try it when I get home.

I haven’t changed anything in Ben’s code apart from the WiFi, MQTT details. I changed the MQTT packet size.

So your sensor when you blow on it, it changes the values in 2 seconds and you can see the change on the front end? Wow

I haven’t connected any other sensors yet as I wanted to check if the DHT22 sensor works well.

Any one know how to stop the LED lighting up blue every time it reboots ?

It’s kinda annoying if it lights up my bedroom if it reboots in the middle of the light !

:yum:

I read somewhere that changing bluepin from D3 to D0 (in arduino IDE sketch first, then in wiring) solves it. Did not had time to try yet. I will check tomorrow.

EDIT: @cooljimy84 , I just tested it and it works as expected. The LED is no longer blue at startup.

2 Likes

Why not just remove it? Besides using it for debug I dont see much use for it anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

Building a new sensor, I am waiting for the PVC boards to drop the breadboards and make it clean as possible of wires, and not sure if I will leave both the MQ-2 and the MQ-135 I just like how it looks (lol) hope I can make a cool case for it spaceship style maybe Lego(?)

Anyway here a picture of how its looking now, the DHT and the light sensor will be on top but for now they just sitting on the breadboard

2 Likes

Personally I use if for quiet notifications, reminders,… (For instance when my washing machine is running it turns red, then turns green when it’s finished. Or it turns blue when there is post in my mailbox, or yellow to remind me to start the dishwasher before bed).

Amazing !

I also plan on using them from status of things, but i’m hopefully moving flat soon, so it might all change again.

Fair enough :stuck_out_tongue:

For our washing machine I use pushbullet to send notification to wife phone and the mailbox I use a Xiaomi windows sensor and the Xiaomi gateway in the living room to run “you got mail” mp3 and turn the light on…
For dish washing I just hope my wife do them and they dont need to pile up :rofl::joy:

Most my “bruh sensors” are above our heads, I removed also the Lux sensor in most because we have curtains to make the house plain dark because of our parrots and its to much work to get everything tracked and sync.

@lambtho was that for me changing the blue pin from D3 to D0?