Can Home Assistant control or monitor outside devices (physically separate) via internet?

I would like to host Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi 4 for home use. But, we also own 4 internet-connected businesses that I’d like to monitor (temperature, door open/closed, camera) as well.

So far searches for control remote have addressed accessing HA the LAN from the internet (outside) to inside (LAN).

I am trying to determine if HA is the right tool to monitor from inside to outside (monitor or control remotely via net).

Many thanks!

This might do what you want: custom-components/remote_homeassistant: Links multiple home-assistant instances together (github.com)

It has to be able to reach and communicate with those devices. If it can, then you can do this. If it can’t, then you have to solve that communications gap.

Probably you’ll want to solve this with a VPN, but undoubtedly there’s going to be a lot more to it than just that.

1 Like

Presumably if something like ZeroTier is accessible via the docker container that Home Assistant can talk to, then as long as each of the 4 remote locations have a different IP range, it would be theoretically possible.
You just need to add manual routes in to the ZeroTier control panel so that each IP address range is reachable via a ZeroTier client endpoint.

Many thanks! I’ll check this out. From the comments in reply, it seems quite possible. Just need to ‘open the path’! Cheers.