Cannot save during onboarding initial setup

I hoped this would not happen, but it has. At the very next stage, I am struggling again.
On my new home page, there is no hass.io button in the menu. Have looked at a couple of pages of the forum which try to address this, but quite honestly they are way over my head.
Can anyone give this IT idiot a fix that I might be able to understand?

As I understand, now you have ā€˜Home Assistant Coreā€™ running in a venv. The hassio button (btw, doesnā€™t exists anymore, now it is called supervisor) is only visible in ā€˜Home Assistantā€™ (formerly known as Hassio) and ā€˜Home Assistant Supervisedā€™ (formerly known as Hassio on generic linux install). If you run ā€˜Home Assistant Coreā€™ in docker or in a venv, it is not there.

Thank you Francis
I donā€™t see anything on the home screen that says Supervisor. Again, please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject, but what do I do to access addons etc
Mike

You are running in a venv, you can install custom components, but not add-ons. Add-ons are a hassio exclusive.

So I cannot, for example, add a MQTT broker given the way I am set up? Not sure what the difference is between a custom component and an add-on. Given my set up, is there anything I can do to change to ā€œHome Assistantā€ to bring in the Supervisor functionality?

You can just install mosquitto on your mac. Google install mosquitto mac to find instructions. There is no need to use an add-on to run an mqtt broker. Given the topics here about problems configuring the mosquitto add-on, Iā€™m glad I run my mosquitto on bare metal.

The latest message in my open terminal refers to ā€œOSError: Network is downā€. As far as I can tell, the terminal is not accepting commands as required by the instructions on the Homebrew homepage for downloading Mosquitto on a Mac. Do I need to restart the terminal ?

Can I just check that adding ā€˜hassā€™ to the list of commands was all that was needed? If so Iā€™ll update the instructions.

Re the other questions. If you havenā€™t already youā€™ll want to stop homeassistant, do the ā€˜installā€™ command so it is installed as a service and it runs in the background without the need for an open terminal. Restarting your computer and logging back in should ā€˜startā€™ the service automatically.

You canā€™t use addons because the instructions we ended up following just install homeassistant core, as mentioned above all addons are are extra software that compliments your homeassistant that is installed from within homeassistant. You can install this software separately, you donā€™t need addons. Addons are just a ā€˜convenienceā€™ that would be nice to have, but itā€™s definitely not essential.

Lol - not at all. The idiots are the ones who think they know better and refuse to follow advice :slightly_smiling_face:

Marc
Like the teeshirt.
As far as I can tell, adding the hass command was the only additional instruction. It is a little odd as the instructions to autostart on Mac OS (from the Home Assistant website), which I think I followed, were to enter:
$ hass --script macOS install
I assume the $ was an error, as the terminal would not accept the command. The fact remains that just entering hass on itā€™s own appears to have done the trick - at least in my case
As far as the next instructions are concerned to stop Homeassistant and do the install command, how do I stop home assistant, and is the install command the ā€œā€“script macOS installā€
Given that my terminal seems to be a bit stuck - it keeps giving me error messages - last one is
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.met.weather] Retrying in 17 minutes
do I just ahead and close the terminal and reopen, or try to put the install command in and see what happens - if it is the correct install command

On a non-mac itā€™s ctrl+c to stop the running process in a terminal, so try whatever the mac equivalent of that would be :man_shrugging:

Then yeah, when you have a normal command prompt type

hass --script macOS install

(no dollars)

And hopefully the terminal will reply with something positive.

Then reboot your machine, login, wait 5 minutes and see if you can access homeassistant in your browser.

Hopefully by this point itā€™s all going swimmingly, and you can get back in to the terminal and install your mqtt broker, then get homeassistant talking to it.

Before you know it youā€™ll be a master cli ninja coder :laughing:

All very frustrating. Did not seem to work the first time - although it is quite possible that I did not wait until the end of the install. I did wait a very long time, but I think there was again some kind of connection issue. When I rebooted, it would not access localhost:8123.
Went back and started over. Got back to in on the browser. Tried the hass --script macOS install command, but it did not work, so just tried the hass command again. That was also a long time ago, and it seems to be stuck again - last line says
Attempting to install of brother==0.1.6
This was about 40 minutes ago. Hoping that eventually something happens, and I can try again with the install command.
Not sure what the opposite of a ninja is. We can now just call an anti-ninja a ā€œMikeā€

Update
After more than an hour, more code, that included the message:
OSError: [Errno 50] Network is down then a couple more error messages, last one about
home assistant.components.met.weather - retrying in 19 minutes
Not sure if this is important and need to just let it keep going, or try again with stopping the process and the install code

Still stuck on the weather issue. A new additional error message:
OSError: [Errno 49] Canā€™t assign requested address

Do you have an issue with your Internet connection? Or your internal network? There seems to be a lot of errors related to connections.

Do you have a web interface up for Homeassistant? Is it running as a service or are you still running it as an open process in a terminal?

Internet connection not great here.
I do have the interface up, and I must be still running as an open process as I have not run the install command yet (at least not successfully)

OK - ctl+c (or whatever buttons it is on a mac) in the terminal window.

hass --script macOS install

And paste the output from that command in the thread please. If it looks like it worked, reboot, login, wait 5 minutes and try to access the Web interface again at http://YOUR_IP:8123

If thatā€™s no good, then find your homeassistant log file and paste that here.

the hass ā€¦ line didnā€™t work

Unable to write to /Users/michaelgross/Library/LaunchAgents/org.homeassistant.plist [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ā€˜/Users/michaelgross/Library/LaunchAgents/org.homeassistant.plistā€™

Reaching the limit of my expertise here, as I have no idea what the script will be attempting to do on a mac, but tryā€¦

touch /Users/michaelgross/Library/LaunchAgents/org.homeassistant.plist

And then run the install command again.

No such file or directory.
Think this is back to the original problem that my Library sits outside of the Users path.
It is in:
MacIntosh HD/Library - and this is where the Launchagents directory is
Can try the same command but using
touch /Library/Launchagentsā€¦

No that wonā€™t work either - that directory is empty