"Can't execute restart while a task is in progress" error in Supervisor after upgrade, whenever trying to restart core

Hi everyone,
I’ve had a big problem with Home Assistant OS since the latest upgrade to core-2021.2.1
Some parts still work, but the core cannot finish starting up, it’s locked, and many plugins do not autostart & their features do not work anymore.
I’ve been looking into supervisor & host logs, but couldn’t find anything relevant to help fix the issue.

When I try to restart the core, it says:
21-02-07 22:16:59 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.utils] Can’t execute restart while a task is in progress
Even waiting 24h doesn’t help ; Many (cold & hot) restarts haven’t fixed a thing however, disconnecting USB devices & disabling some addons didn’t help, but I’m blind as to where to look.

I’ve also tried to do the “restart supervisor”, I get a simple warning about the core still starting up…
21-02-07 22:26:21 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] ‘Supervisor.restart’ blocked from execution, system is not running - CoreState.STARTUP

Do you have any clue of where to look to find which “task” is locked (in an addon or other) ?
I can provide logs from core & supervisor, but they only have seemingly benign warnings at most.

Thank you for your help !

PS. this is the standard [Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB model) 64-bit] installation from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/, but it was updated, it has been working for almost a year, almost flawlessly before this incident.

PS2. For anyone still interested, I managed to fix it (at least for this HA version)
no errors logs pointed to any useful direction unfortunately.
I had to delete Zwave integrations, no “automated” transition could be done with the new Zwave (or Zwave JS) => recreating it manually worked well, and unlocked the “core starting problem” (didn’t even try to understand why in the current state of the solution…)

I have the exact same issue, but I’m not running a Raspberry Pi (I’m using Ubuntu, the supported version). I thought at first it was a zwave issue, so I changed from openzwave to the new Zwave JS. It finds everything OK but doesn’t populate the device list with zwave devices. I can’t rollback to an older version due to this fault either.
I’ve tried restarting with debug flag, but it’s very difficult to find the reason it’s not finalizing startup.

Hi, if anyone could point to a direction I should look for logs or anything relating to that kind of bug, I’d appreciate it ! Thanks in advance for your help

PS2. For anyone still interested, I managed to fix it (at least for this HA version)
no errors logs pointed to any useful direction unfortunately.
I had to delete Zwave integrations, no “automated” transition could be done with the new Zwave (or Zwave JS) => recreating it manually worked well, and unlocked the “core starting problem” (didn’t even try to understand why in the current state of the solution…)

1 Like

Thanks!!! I tried to do a migration from the old z-wave Integration to the new one and started having issues. Deleting the integration fixed everything.