Can't find device /dev/zwave

Have been successfully using an Aeotec Gen5 stick in a Raspberry Pi 3 until this morning (when I upgraded to 0.46.0). Currently getting this error in my HASS logs:

2017-06-05 16:40:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component zwave
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/config/deps/openzwave/option.py”, line 78, in init
raise ZWaveException(u"Can’t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: “Zwave Generic Exception : Can’t find device /dev/zwave : [‘NoneType\n’]”

However, that device definitely does exist:

bachya@gryffindor:~$ ls -al /dev/zwave
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jun 5 16:38 /dev/zwave → ttyACM0

…where ttyACM0 is my Gen5 stick (I followed the documentation’s linked article on permanently linking it to /dev/zwave).

Any thoughts on what could be happening? I’ve rebooted the Pi, unplugged/re-plugged the stick, restarted HASS several times, but keep getting this error.

Thanks!

From which version were you upgrading? What do you have in your configuration.yaml for Z-Wave? Does it work if you change the path in your configuration.yaml to dev/ttyACM0?

From which version were you upgrading?

Upgrading from 0.45.0 to 0.46.0.

What do you have in your configuration.yaml for Z-Wave?

zwave:
  polling_interval: 20000
  usb_path: /dev/zwave

Does it work if you change the path in your configuration.yaml to dev/ttyACM0?

Yes: when I change /dev/zwave to /dev/ttyACM0 and reload HASS, the zwave component loads correctly.

So then clearly something went broken with the symbolic link to your z-wave stick. So you have to look for a solution in that area.

Well, I feel sheepish. :sheep:

One crucial (yet unrecognized-by-me) bit of information is that I’m running this in a Docker container. For some reason, I hadn’t properly exposed /dev/zwave/ to that container. Once I did, everything started working.

Thanks!

How were you able to correctly expose /dev/zwave to the container?
I’ve switched to using hassio and since doing so I have this problem. Only resolution is to shut hassio, unplug and plugin the zstick then start hassio again.

Unfortunately, I can’t speak to hassio – I don’t use it. Using pure docker containers (and docker-compose), I merely use a volume mapping:

hass:
    build: ./home-assistant
    command: /usr/src/app/start.sh
    container_name: hass
    devices:
      - "/dev/zwave:/dev/zwave"
    image: bachya/hass-rpi
    network_mode: "host"
    restart: always
    volumes:
      - /etc/docker/home-assistant:/config
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro